Step Files: Circular Edge Cuts (NPTH) and Silkscreens

I am a couple days into converting over from Fusion Electronics (Eagle, but integrated into Fusion360) but still use Fusion 360 as my primary CAD tool for non electronics related tasks.

I wanted to know if it was possible to have the full silk screen and board edge cuts transfer over as both are pretty important for positioning/creating an enclosure/partial enclosure. In some cases for instance, one might want to make some parts of the boards silk screen exposed, and without the silk screen that is not possible. Of course without hole positioning this is also quite troublesome.

I have seen some recommendations talk about something called Stepup within Freecad, but I am not a big fan of the workflows available in Freecad and would prefer to avoid necessitating it if possible. Any tips?

I completely understand that the traditional sentiment is that whrl files are for pretty pictures, but I feel that much of the information they have over the current output of step files are very much so useful for CAD. As step files also support color and from my understanding most repositories ship step files for reference, It would be quite useful to be able to get something similar to what can be seen in the 3d viewer as a step file.

Example Images for reference:

KiCAD 3D Viewer:

Fusion 360:

I am also interested in how to include silkscreen in Step.
My guess is that there would be a lot of small 3d-shapes that takes a lot of resources, but that it would be possible, just as included tracks are possible.

I use the stepup workbench in freecad and then export the step from there to load into fusion.
It only takes about 3 or 4 steps to do and does not really use much of the freecad systems at all.

I the hole diameter is small enough for a normal drill used by manufacturers (IIRC some say that for example 6 mm is max and larger than that should be routed) you could use mounting hole footprints. They are exported by KiCad. Lack of exporting inner edge.cuts shapes is a bug in my opinion. Please report it.

For other details, see 3D export: include layers e.g. copper, soldermask, silkscreen etc. (#2072) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab. Maybe you should tell about your use case there, maybe it can be re-opened.

Lack of exporting inner edge.cuts shapes is a bug in my opinion. Please report it.

Yes-bug.
No, don’t report it. There are already 3 reports open for missing circles in the step file.

Hmm. I searched before I wrote but the dropdown list for Labels doesn’t show “step” which is in the issue. I wonder why. I searched for “export” label and “STEP” normal word.

Yes, the search function of gitlab could need a little bit improvement.
The mentioned label-dropdown list for instance is often stripped and doesn’t show all available labelstrings. This label-dropdown works best if you start typing the first 1…2…3 characters of the wanted label. Of course this works only if you already know the labelname :frowning:

I searched for “export” label and “STEP” normal word

The “export” label was not set because I was not aware of that “export” label until now.