Stacked uVIA (L1 -> L3)

can 2 uVIA be stacked on top of each other with Kicad ?

if so, how do I do it ?

need to go from layer 1 -> layer 3

Eh… how many layers do you have in total and what do you mean by ‘stacking’ in that case?
Is there another via from another net going between another pair of layers?
Or do you talk about a burried via that isn’t going to F.Cu/B.Cu?
More info needed (for me at least)…

Stacked means on top of each other.

Top to L2
L2 to L3

Via diameter = 0.3mm
Laser drill diameter = 0.1mm

Not buried as it is visible from top.

Total layers is 8 in this case but could have been 4 or more layers for the example.

I think he means this.

But I’m not sure you will be able to do that in KiCad.
I needed that and I came this far.

Next step was to align coordinates of these two vias but regardles the traces ( that are suggesting that via is from 2nd to 3rd ), second micro via was also from first to second layer. So my conclusion is that KiCad thinks about micro vias as only from first to second layer.

While I can imagine the use case that Indir_Okanovic showed, why not define a via from Top to L3 in the first place?

1 Like

Yes you are correct

L1:L3

is that doable ? if so how ?

So you mean blind via from L1:L3?
If so, u just need to press right mouse button, select blind/buried via and then with +/- buttons on keypad shift thru the layers, when you come to the 3rd layer left click on mouse and continue routing on that layer. ( OpenGL canvas ) On regular canvas just right click on mouse and there is option, Select layer and place Blind/Buried Via.

1 Like

Wonderful.

Now only remains the flex/rigid pcb problem.

If you have rigid pcb partly on top of flex.
Flex in the middle or bottom of the stack.

Now you want to place components both on top of the rigid and flex.

Let’s say rigid is L1-L2 and flex is L3-L4.

You want to be able to place components on L3 as if it was top layer where you don’t have your rigid part.

Tricky.

Not doable in Cairo?
Not a big deal but for reasons unknown to mankind I prefer Cairo.

But most of all I would prefer if all was unified into 1 single canvas.

I have bad news for you. The unified canvas will be the opengl canvas. (As soon as all important features are ported.)

2 Likes

And one more hint regarding blind/buried vias, this case L1-L3, maybe there will be extra cost. You will need to check with your manufacturer as that is extra process in manufacturing as most of them do only standard pair layer drill ( as board multilayer board is nothing else than bunch of 2 layer boards stacked one on another ). Meaning blind vias are drilled only in pair layer. ex.

• L1-L2
  • L1-L4
  • L3-L4
  • L3-L6…

I’m not sure what do you mean. Those are two different types of pcb-s they need to have some kind of connection between them, especially you are mentioning components on top layer of flex pcb,

meaning there is empty space between boards. Or you have something else in mind?

Yes I am aware of the cost issues and all other technical issues.
I am just looking for tool support.

regarding rigid/flex, see attached picture

We had something similar a few month ago.
I think the conclusion was that it is not really possible in kicad at the moment.
The solution i think was to create two separate pcb files.
(one for the flexible part and one for the rigid part)

I would suggest you read this topic:

2 Likes

yes, thats my take on it.

I make it initially in the same design, but once I have most things settled i split it into 2 designs and clean it up for each one.

“normal” flex rigid where you dont place components on the flex should be no problem in a single design if you send an extra mechanical drawing to the fab to isolate the rigid parts.

1 Like

Three years later.

The way to do this is to show a L1:L3 via in the data with whatever pad diameter your microvia needs to be, and then call out the via class in a Fab drawing. Fabricator CAM operator will set up the stack.