Spartan 7 library/footprint/3d-Model available anywhere?

OK, first, the admission: I’m an FPGA designer in the aerospace industry. The thing is, in these giant companies there’s always a librarian, or a PCB layout expert, or a signal integrity expert, etc. I can lean on. This is my first project doing it all myself, without corporate support. So, the questions may seem clueless, but I promise I’m very good at what I do. :slight_smile:

I’m putting together a PCB with a Spartan 7 ( XAS175-1CSGA225Q ). I have my libraries set up as clones of GitHub, and they APPEAR TO BE properly set up in my project.

I cannot find any reference in the library to the Spartan 7… although I found a thread that makes it sound as if a team was working on it a year ago.

I don’t want to create the model by hand, from scratch… and I really don’t want to have to learn how to do 3d models right now…

Is such a thing available anywhere?

Thanks for your help!

Please always include links, not just names.

1 Like

I keep a set of KiCad schematic symbol libraries for all the Xilinx devices here. However, the XAS175 isn’t in there and I can’t find any mention of it on the Xilinx site or in their set of pin tables (which I use to generate my libraries). Most Spartan-7 FPGAs have a prefix starting with “XC7S”. I do have a symbol with the part number xc7s15csga225.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Apparently I wasn’t quite specific enough, it’s the Spartan 7 XA product line. All I noticed is, it’s $21 at Digikey.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/xa-spartan-7.html

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xilinx-inc/XA7S15-1CSGA225Q/122-XA7S15-1CSGA225Q-ND/10445654

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you generate the library from the table? a set of hand-rolled scripts? Or is there a tool available on The Internets somewhere?

I’ll dig around and see how similar they are. Thanks!

I feed these files through a Xilinx-specific preprocessor and then KiPart creates the symbols.

I don’t see any specific pin files for the XA7S automotive family. Maybe they’re pin-compatible with the XC7S FPGAs and just have a larger temperature range and different electrical characteristics.

The more I look at it, the more it seems as if even Xilinx doesn’t work too hard to separate the XA and XC lines in their documentation… so I suspect you may be right that they are the same.

I’ll contact Xilinx and see what they say.

Just to close out the topic:

The XA and XS are pin-for-pin compatible. It sounds like the main difference is AEC-Q100 qualification, which is some kind of automotive safety standard.

I also notice that the Q version of the XS chip doesn’t seem to be as available on digikey, it’s a special order, while the Q version of the XA is in stock… might be random chance, but I suspect they simply took the higher-temp XS chips and tested them to an automotive standard.

Thanks, all, for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.