[solved'ish] Programmatic crossprobe to pcbnew?

Hi All,

I’m trying to write a little module for excel that will let me select BOM items and have pcbnew highlight the chip. This will help me a lot when hand loading some of the larger boards I’m doing.

I’ve looked at both the pcbnew/cross-probing.cpp and eeschema/cross-probing.cpp to try and understand this. Basically I’m opening a tcp socket to port 4242 and sending for example

$PART: U8\n\r

but it does nothing?

It should be a relatively simple task. Cross probing does work from eeschema to pcbnew but I want my own little program to do it.

Any thoughts?

Either these guys know something @cbernardo, @c4757p, maybe even @bobc… otherwise irc channel or dev mailing list would be your best bet for such a question.

1 Like

Ha! That’s a neat idea. But unfortunately the cross-probing is no longer done with TCP, pcbnew and eeschema run in the same process now. I don’t see any process listening on 4242 or 4243, so I suspect that no longer functions.

OK I went on a complete wild-goose chase on that idea. Some other process was listening on 4242, the same port that KiCad pcbnew used previously and it’s still in the code?. So I was getting the connection and just assumed looking at the code I was on to something golden.

I’ll have to look elsewhere… Thanks.

[edit] deleted previous post that was just a sketch of the code below so duplicate

I’m too old to be coding till midnight but here it is. I looked at the python verses excel vba code and could not decide what I hated more so flipped a coin and vba won. Code at the end of post.

Motivation : I have a board with 300 or so 0402 parts. Previously I would have a laptop next to me in the lab with my BOM and for every component I would mark the reference, switch to pcbnew find that part on the board then place the component and then go back to excel and manually delete the reference from the cell to keep track of what I had put down…

It is a very slow an painful process that I did not want to repeat ever again.

For the BOM generation I start with the bom2groupedCsv.xsl script such that I end up with all the common manufacture part numbers in the same row.

So what I came up with in the end is a vba script that sits inside the excel BOM that allows me to hit keyboard shortcuts to search for the part in pcbnew and also cross-probe to Eeschema for free.

At best this can be called a hack, but it will work for me this weekend. It goes without saying this is a Window only solution. You will get just about every security warning and virus checkers will probably go crazy due to the user32 system calls but just take my word for it I’m not doing that to you.

How to use :

• Get your BOM ready loaded in to Excel
  • Save the BOM as a macro enabled xlsm file.
  • Go to developer tab | Visual Basic and paste the code here in the Module 1 section.
  • Open your pcb layout in pcbnew and you can run the schematic at the same time if you like.
  • In the BOM highlight what ever cell you like containing your component references.
  • Hit “.” to select the first one, “,” for the previous.This will bold underline
  • Once you have placed a part hit ‘p’, if you need to unplace hit ‘u’
    like this.

Notes :
I’ve only really tested this with the OpenGL engine the standard one will not cross-probe back to Eeschema properly.
You can modify the shortcuts under Main().
Main needs to run when the sheet is loaded and I’m not sure if this will work for everyone.
Because this script gets ZERO feedback from pcbnew I’ve added a few ms delays between calls, this works for me but other users may need to increase them if it’s glitch.
pcbnew search box has an option “Do not warp mouse pointer” uncheck this.

What the? : Without really wanting to understand python or all the kicad source code (for now) I reverted to the sort of code I was writing 20 years ago to make windows do interesting things, it’s a real trip revisiting that. All this script is doing is using Windows system calls to Activate the pcbnew window and then send keystrokes to it like you would if you were interacting with it directly. CTRL+F to find the part, Escape to close the find window and so on.

Credit : I will admit that chunks of this code were re-purposed from google and other good people on the internet, I just glued it together. Mainly this.

If their is any interest in this let me know, but for my sake I will retain my sanity loading my new board this weekend.

' VBA - BOM 2 pcbnew selector
' pixulator.

' Notes :
' ensure "Do not warp mouse pointer" in pcbnew find box is UNCHECKED.

Option Explicit

Public Const ViewOpenGL = True ' don't change this

Private Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
Private Declare Function GetWindowText Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextA" (ByVal HWnd As Long, ByVal lpString As String, ByVal cch As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function GetWindowTextLength Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextLengthA" (ByVal HWnd As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function GetWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal HWnd As Long, ByVal wCmd As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function IsWindowVisible Lib "user32" (ByVal HWnd As Long) As Boolean
Private Declare Function SetForegroundWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal HWnd As Long) As Long
#If VBA7 Then
    Public Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As LongPtr) 'For 64 Bit Systems
#Else
    Public Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long) 'For 32 Bit Systems
#End If
Public Declare Sub mouse_event Lib "user32" (ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dx As Long, ByVal dy As Long, ByVal cButtons As Long, ByVal dwExtraInfo As Long)
Public Const MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN = &H2
Public Const MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTUP = &H4

Private Const GW_HWNDNEXT = 2

Private working As Boolean
Private ref_idx As Integer

Private Sub Main()
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.OnKey "p", "comp_placed"
    Application.OnKey "u", "comp_unplaced"
    Application.OnKey ",", "comp_prev"
    Application.OnKey ".", "comp_next"
    working = False
    ref_idx = 0
End Sub

Private Sub pcbnew_find(ByVal ref As String)
    Dim selflhWndP As Long
    Dim lhWndP As Long

If GetHandleFromPartialCaption(lhWndP, "Pcbnew") = True _
    And GetHandleFromPartialCaption(selflhWndP, "Microsoft Excel") Then
        'If IsWindowVisible(lhWndP) = True Then
        '  MsgBox "Found VISIBLE Window Handle: " & lhWndP, vbOKOnly + vbInformation
        'Else
        '  MsgBox "Found INVISIBLE Window Handle: " & lhWndP, vbOKOnly + vbInformation
        'End If
        Sleep 200
        SetForegroundWindow (lhWndP)
        Sleep 50
        SendKeys "^f", True ' Find
        Sleep 50
        SendKeys ref, True ' The component refference.
        Sleep 50
        SendKeys vbCr, True ' ENTER - DOIT!
        Sleep 100
        SendKeys Chr(27), True ' Escape : Close Find Dialog
        Sleep 100
        ' Just in case the component is not found do it again.
        ' kicad will go ding.
        SendKeys Chr(27), True
        If ViewOpenGL = False Then
            ' Click where ever we ended up to crossprobe in Eeschema
            ' Not needed in OpenGL mode, and I seems not to work in
            ' the default viewer so yeah.
            Sleep 100
            mouse_event MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN, 0, 0, 0, 0
            Sleep 100
            mouse_event MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTUP, 0, 0, 0, 0
        End If
        Sleep 200
        ' Back to Excel
        SetForegroundWindow (selflhWndP)

Else
        MsgBox "Could not get handles for Excel or pcbnew?", vbOKOnly + vbExclamation
    End If

End Sub

Private Function GetHandleFromPartialCaption(ByRef lWnd As Long, ByVal sCaption As String) As Boolean

Dim lhWndP As Long
    Dim sStr As String
    GetHandleFromPartialCaption = False
    lhWndP = FindWindow(vbNullString, vbNullString) 'PARENT WINDOW
    Do While lhWndP <> 0
        sStr = String(GetWindowTextLength(lhWndP) + 1, Chr$(0))
        GetWindowText lhWndP, sStr, Len(sStr)
        sStr = Left$(sStr, Len(sStr) - 1)
        If InStr(1, sStr, sCaption) > 0 Then
            GetHandleFromPartialCaption = True
            lWnd = lhWndP
            Exit Do
        End If
        lhWndP = GetWindow(lhWndP, GW_HWNDNEXT)
    Loop

End Function

Sub select_reff(ByVal direction As Integer, ByVal highlight_mode As Integer)
    If working Then Return
    Dim cell_reffs() As String
    Dim col_start As Integer
    Dim col_length As Integer
    Dim a As Integer
    Dim cell_reffs_len As Integer
    working = True
    ActiveCell.Font.Bold = False
    ActiveCell.Font.Underline = False
    cell_reffs = Split(Trim(ActiveCell.Text), " ")
    cell_reffs_len = UBound(cell_reffs) - LBound(cell_reffs) + 1
    ref_idx = ref_idx + direction
    If ref_idx > cell_reffs_len Then ref_idx = 1
    If ref_idx = 0 Then ref_idx = cell_reffs_len
    col_start = 0
    col_length = 0
    For a = 1 To cell_reffs_len
        col_length = Len(cell_reffs(a - 1)) + 1
        If a = ref_idx Then Exit For
        col_start = col_start + col_length
    Next
    ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=col_start, Length:=col_length).Font.Bold = True
    ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=col_start, Length:=col_length).Font.Underline = True
    If (highlight_mode = 1) Then ' Placed
        ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=col_start, Length:=col_length).Font.Color = RGB(0, 255, 0)
    ElseIf (highlight_mode = 2) Then ' unplaced
        ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=col_start, Length:=col_length).Font.Color = RGB(0, 0, 0)
    End If
    If highlight_mode = 0 Then pcbnew_find (cell_reffs(ref_idx - 1))
    working = False
End Sub

Sub comp_prev()
    select_reff -1, 0
End Sub

Sub comp_next()
    select_reff 1, 0
End Sub

Sub comp_placed()
    select_reff 0, 1
End Sub

Sub comp_unplaced()