[SOLVED] Unable to connect wires to bus

I’m having difficulty connecting wires to a bus. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? I’m using a testing build from yesterday.

In one end I’m not able to connect to the bus at all. At the other end it’s already connected, and I’m still able to connect if I connect the bus to the wire, but not if I connect the wire to the bus.

connect-bus

The bus is defined as an Bus Alias.

I’m using:

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x64 on x64

Version: 7.0.6-65-g022105cdba, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.1
	libcurl/7.88.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22621), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Jul 22 2023 05:13:29
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.81.0
	OCC: 7.7.1
	Curl: 7.88.1-DEV
	ngspice: 40
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Most likely a grid issue.
Solved in two steps.

First: Schematic Editor / View / Grid Properties, and then set the grid to 50mils:

Second, Press [Ctrl + A] to select everything in your schematic, then right click the mouse and select Align Elements to Grid from the popup menu.

The sloping 45° segment are not simple wires (from the “Add a wire” tool). Instead these are special items called “bus entry”.

Look at the manual Schematic Editor | 7.0 | English | Documentation | KiCad, section “Electrical connections - buses”

in short:

• right-click the bus–>context menu–>Unfold from bus
  • or use the “Add wire entry to bus” icon on right toolbar to get the 45°-sloping segment
  • or use simple copy/paste to get another 45°-sloping segment
2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I knew that it was something I had forgotten about.

@paulvdh Thanks for trying to help! It wasn’t the problem this time, but it was a good guess.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.