(Solved) Request: Please kill the "IEEE" Libraries

The “4xxx_IEEE” and 74xx_IEEE libraries are of very low quality and have changed from 5.1 to 6.0 to 7.0 without getting better.
As no one has complained about the changes, I suspect that they are not being used.

Request: remove them from the library.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hard to do without breaking version updates on old designs that did use them.
I can’t see anyone wanting to use them for a new design apart from one of the retro computing fans wanting to clone an ancient PCB

Even so there is the 4xxx and 74xx that replaces the iee variants. They could just be moved to a different repository that people needing to import old designs could load. Besides nobody need to have the library symbols as of v6 since the symbols are in schematics.

And yes the art school students still use these for building analog synthesizers.

1 Like

The two combined take up less than 1MB. They are easy to hide if some are offended by them :grin:

6 Likes

The issue that the 5.1, 6.0 and 7.0 4xxx_IEEE and 74xx_IEEE are all different, so the backward compatibility argument doesn’t hold.
But disabling them in the Manager is a good idea, I’d forgotten about that.
Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.