[solved] Ratsnest not updating correctly (reason: symbol, same pin number, different pin name)

Interesting, the nightly version doesn’t give me any ERC errors… no warnings either.

I’d say it wouldn’t even matter for the footprint, as those pins will be on the same potential anyway.

So the latest KiCAD doesn’t have any qualms with different names for the pins then I guess, where as this is the only thing that the stable versions could have a problem with, right?

Does anything past EEschema use the pin names for anything?
They definitely don’t appear in the netlist.

PS: the netlist contains this for the Resistors btw:

(libpart (lib shunt_prototyp-cache) (part Shunt_R)
  (footprints
    (fp R_*Shunt*))
  (fields
    (field (name Reference) R)
    (field (name Value) Shunt_R))
  (pins
    (pin (num 1) (name E1) (type passive))
    (pin (num 2) (name E2) (type passive)))))

I1/I2 are missing or better ignored in that context. The schematic still shows them…

That’s what i get under 4.0.2 as well.

This means there should definitely not be two pins with the same pin number in the symbol. The question is why does nightly handle this differently to stable? (I would say the way nightly handles this is better for the user.)

I think only for visual feedback for the user.

1 Like

It would seem that my amateur produced component and footprint would be the problem here…
I apologize for the confusion caused by this and would like to thank you all very much for the kind help!

Now everything seems to be connect as I intended from the start.

Thanks again! :smile:

2 Likes

@c4757p or @cbernardo might know something in this regard.

I also think the nightly handle this nicer, would be interesting if this is considered a bug or feature though :wink:

I’m afraid I’m a bit lost in your discussion about this potential bug in KiCad. Is there anything I could do to help?

It’s alright, don’t worry. For the time being avoid symbols with same pin number and different name though as the stables don’t like them apparently.
If or not the future stable(s) have another opinion on this matter, no idea.

1 Like