(Solved) PCB-Schematic Cross Probe

If I have PCB and schematic editor open with same design, what are the prerequisites and setup for showing cross-probe sensitive cursors ? Click to a trace or footprint should show the signal line or component symbol in schematic and vice versa.

That should be all.
So now I’m assuming it does not work for you and wondering why.

Cross-probing between symbols and footprints should work whenever one of them is selected, while for cross-probing schematic wires with the PCB tracks you have to use the highlight function (Backtick key just under the [Esc] key on most keyboards.

Do you have an active project? (That is, you opened those programs from the KiCad Project Manager)?

Maybe you have some old KiCad version? It should work in all KiCad V6 projects, maybe also in V5 but I can’t remember when it was introduced.

Another possibility is it got disabled in the settings somehow. The settings under Preferences and Display Options and the schematic and PCB editors have their own settings for this, depending on the direction in which you’re cross-probing.

in v6.09, I have similar trouble - This is what I do to get it working:

In PCB (not in Schematic), Right-Click a Track to get Pop-up Menu, then Net_Tools > Highlight_Net…After that, the Icon on Left side works.

Once it’s working, it stays enabled until I Quit… It will Highlight the Net in both PCB and Schematic

Yes its V6 with open project both windows invoked using the project manager.
After opening the properties->DisplayOptions->CrossProbe Dialog its suddenly also working with footprints to symbols in both directions what was not the case before. Checkbox options were always enabled. It also works from copper trace to schematic SignalLine using the PCB context menue “HighlightNet” but I cant find opposite way to highlight a trace by selecting a schematic signal line

Make sure you open the project not the files in standalone mode

Do you mean this (see below) does not work for you?

Every time you see the PCB Editor jumping to another location I depressed the “`” backtick key, which is a shortcut to the highlight function.

Thanks for the video, my V6.04 is not behaving like this. Single click to a schematic signal line selects the line (but showing a blue background) and no reaction in PCB. Double click to a schematic signal line shows a line and wire properties dialoge. Anyhow components cross probe are ok now.

Again (third time) Clicking does not work, you need to use the shorcut key on the keyboard.

Also:

That version does not exist, and has never existed. I assume you mean V6.0.4 That is a quite old version (over half a year). I have V6.0.9, but V6.0.10 is being rolled out right now (Apparently windows is a bit earlier then Linux). There have been quite a lot of bug fixes in the mean time, and updating with bumps in the third number are always recommended, and should not have nasty side effects. ( The first number is for mayor updates that occur about once a year, and the second number is reserved for updates that may break things or have significant new features or side effects).

1 Like

Thanks for telling me 3 times. Clicking only does not work and the short cut key will do the trick. As I have German keyboard in use, accessing the backtick ` character needs shift key what prevented the intuitive use before.

I am going to install latest versions on my other machine for redesign. I simply have to test my board and make it running now and there its useful to see where the signals are located why I go on with older version for the moment

Having to use the shift key to get to the backtick is a bit annoying, but the KiCad designers can’t put all of those shortcut keys on convenient locations for every language on this world.

But fortunately all of KiCad’s shortcut keys are configurable in the preferences.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.