[Solved] Pad too close to pad error

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

I’ve got a strange issue which has me pulling out my hair.

I’ve downloaded a project from github and adding a few extra components. The problem is when I place a jumper with footprint Jumper:SolderJumper-3_P1.3mm_Open_RoundedPad1.0x1.5mm
and run DRC I get:

Screenshot from 2021-07-09 16-03-20

Screenshot from 2021-07-09 16-03-29

I’ve removed all of the components from the circuit except the jumper to simplify things. I can’t really understand why this error is occurring.

If I create a new project and place this footprint I don’t have this issue so there can’t be a problem with the Kicad footprint.

I then though it must be some setting in the board setup design rules, but I have compared them for this project and the new working project and they are the same.

Project attached:
Test.zip (5.2 KB)

I must be missing something simple.

Application: KiCad
Version: 5.1.10-88a1d61d58~88~ubuntu20.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.68.0
Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

The clearances of your signals is to big, you can see the thin red line around the pads, it is used to show the clearence of the pads, check in the ‘net classes’ what your standard clearence is and maybe if those signals have their own clearence definitions

Thanks, that did it. I looked everywhere except that.

The clearance on the project was 0.2mm.
With a new project it defaults to 0.3mm. I changed it to 0.3mm and it no longer gives the error.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.