[Solved] No 3D models Seen for DIP parts. Am I missing Something?

This is what I see in 3D view for DIP parts.
Why there is no 3D model for the 3 DIP parts like there is for the pinheaders and Capacitors.
Similar stands for the TO220 parts,there is no 3D model for any of the five TO220 packges
I have a recent installation with no modification.
My internet connection is working fine.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to look at 3D settings of Footprint properties?

I am assuming you use footprints from the official library version in kicad stable.

3d models currently are part of the normal installer under windows, but they are only installed if you enable the library install during the installation process.

For ubuntu they are part of the kicad-library package. Some other linux distros have it as part of the main kicad package.

Maybe. But also look at the settings for KISYS3DMOD (kicad main window->preferences->Configure paths)
Maybe open the directory where this variable points to with a file browser and look if there is a Housings_DIP.3dshapes directory that holds 3d files with the same name as your footprint(s).

I have sorted the Housings_DIP 3D libraries part now.
There are files at $(KISYS3DMOD) location which can be opened in W10 convinently like this

But if I add the files for the TO220 I get this

The 3D settings page

If the file is opened with 3D viewer with mm units.
the distance between pins looks okay

I have tried to utilize the image upload facility which many other forums lack. Hope the images will speak a thousand words

Thanks,
Malhar

Try removing the second shape in the 3d properties tab (TO_SOT_packages_THT …)

This is how the settings are in the official library.

Sadly these 3d files are not yet created using the new workflow that creates correctly scaled 3d models in addition to creating step models. (Such models will not be included in version 5) This is why a scaling of 1/2.54 and a offset in x direction are required.

The strange thing in your footprint is that the offset seems to be equal to the one in the official lib but the scale has been changed.

@jkriege2 did a very nice model for TO-220-5_Vertical
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-packages3D-source/blob/master/Package_TO_SOT_THT.3dshapes/TO-220-5_Vertical.fcstd

He may help in arrange the FreeCAD file to do also TO-220-2_Vertical and TO-220-3_Vertical
:smiley: