[SOLVED] Looking for a way to have parts in the BOM but not on the PCB

Hi

I’m looking for a way to place a part in Eeschema but it don’t want to have this part in the PCB.
I know that I can use an annotation like #J1 but then the part doesn’t appear also in the BOM.
The reason for that is that I want to have a complete BOM.

So I want to achieve this:
Part in Eeschema = Yes
Part in BOM = Yes
Part in PCB = No

But I don’t need them on the PCB itself, because the parts which I assemble have those parts already inlcuded.

Maybe I try to use a wron approach?

I have included therefore my schematic and a 3D view.
The 2x24 Headerpins aren’t included in the schematic because I tried to have a simpler schematic.
Therefore I’ve made a footprint for the teensy with the nessesary holes. Instead of placing 2x24 female header pins and 2x24 male headerpins. Maybe that was a mistake?

What would you say? include all header pins in the schematic and redesign the footprint, or achieve somehow what I’ve described above? Or just live with it? :slight_smile:

I could also just write an excel BOM by myself, or export the BOM and add the missing parts.

Unfortunately I receive a message when I want to upload images. Therefore I provide a link with my schematics.

https://boonstra.ch/kicad/KiCad3D_view.png

What do you think is the best?

Best regards
Simon

Not 100% clear on what you want but if you don’t assign the part a footprint then PCBnew can’t place it. You can also put the footprint outside the edge cut line. I think this is going to be a matter of pick which error you want to ignore.

1 Like

I’m not well versed in this BOM stuff.
Just some random ideas:

As far as I know the BOM is generated by an external python script. I think I once saw a list of such scripts. You could make a copy of such a script, and then modify it to add a few extra lines of text to it’s output, or you could write an extra script that runs after the BOM and which adds for example the content of a text file with some extra items to your BOM.

Thank to you both for your help

I try to modify the BOM script or if thats not working I take the other approach with placing the footprints outside the edge cutline.

I’m not sure if I understand.
You assemble at one PCB the other PCB being a kind of module with parts you wonder about being already assembled at that module.
In such case I suggest to do separate BOM for module and for main PCB list the module in its BOM.

There are specific settings for this in the Symbol Properties dialog in 5.99 (aka soon-to-be-6.0).

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies.
I think it’s the cleanest way how Piotr suggests.
Jeff eagerly awaiting v6.0 :slight_smile:

p.s. Have not found a “close topic” button.
Should I just wait for auto close after 3 months?

Only moderators can really close a topic. You can edit the subject line and add [SOLVED] there if you want to.

Thanks for the advise

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.