<SOLVED>Installing and Running Nightlies on Linux Mint

Hey there,
Hope this is the best place to post this question.

I’m attempting to run Kicad-nightly on Linux MInt 19.1 (Cinnamon) - my computer is a Lenovo x240.

I followed the LInux Mint installation instructions on the Kicad website.
Everything appeared to install correctly in terminal. There we no errors from what I can tell.
However I can’t figure out how to run the program!

While I have a couple years experience using Kicad (nightlys) on Mac and Windows, I have almost no experience with Linux. I’m hoping to learn more and am down do my own research if anyone can suggest some resources!

Please let me know if I need to elaborate on anything to help people to answer this question!

-Zach

Why don’t you tell what you have tried already.

I searched for where the nightly files were downloaded and eventually found the folders (i think).
I expected to find some file I could double-click to run the program…but I’m beginning to think that was a foolish assumptions.
Again, I am extremely unfamiliar with Linux and wonder if I’m missing something super basic about how installing and running programs works in Linux.

So you didn’t actually install those files? Just downloaded them? Yeah, that’s not how you work with Linux (at least Mint and other Ubuntu derivatives). You have to add the repository to the list of repositories which are used when programs are installed. Then you install using a command line program or a graphical UI. This is so basic for Linux and so much beyond this forum’s subject matter that you should learn it first.

Start with searching for “ubuntu how to install software” or something similar, you will get tons of hits. Or try the official Mint or Ubuntu documentation. “apt” is the system you will use and you have to add a “PPA” to the repository list.

1 Like

Fair enough!
Thanks for the response

just go here and read a bit :wink:
kicad on linux-mint

2 Likes

Yes, these are the instructions I followed to install kicad.
I ended up using terminal and installed everything that way with each of those commands.

eelik mentioned that I hadn’t installed anything, but I’m confused as to why the terminal commands all use the word ‘install’

I tried doing the 7 steps but the final step ‘Return to the Software Manager main screen, search for ‘kicad-nightly’, and install it’ only yeilded the stable kicad download, not the nightly.

I recognize I’m likely missing something extremely basic about using Linux. But I followed these instructions and didn’t experience any errors. What am I missing?

The last line of instructions ‘To launch nightly version of a kicad’s binaries, you have to add “-nightly” to the command name:’ may be what I’m missing.

sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-dev-nightly
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kicad-nightly
kicad-nightly
2 Likes

Ahhhhh it works! Those three lines are the same as the first three lines in the instructions, correct?
I guess I must have typed a line incorrectly when I first installed it. This time I right clicked and pasted it in
I still feel like a fool, but a different type of fool now.
Well! Thank you so much for being patient with me.
You are my champion!

Sorry, I interpreted what you wrote to mean that you just downloaded some package files and tried to open them. You didn’t tell you followed certain instructions.

No worries! I’m the one asking dumb questions :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.