[SOLVED] Installation headaches, KiCAD 5.1.12 on Win10, symbol library inaccessible?

Hi folks,

I’m not new to KiCAD, but I have always used it on Linux. On my new job, I’m trying to install on a Win10 machine. I’ve downloaded the 5.1.12 installer package. It says that it includes symbol, footprint, and 3D libraries.

I opened a KiCAD file sent to me by another engineer. The first time I opened it, KiCAD complained about the need to rescue symbols. I approved the rescue so that I could look at his schematic.

I tried to open a new project. I was unable to add a single symbol. KiCAD does not seem to be able to find its own symbol library. I get error dialogs like the following: “Library file 'C:\Users\some_user\some_path\some_library.lib not found.”

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and then I tried creating a new project without opening the other user’s project. I am still unable to create even a single symbol.

I am aware of this page:

The instructions seem to refer specifically to the footprint library, but I haven’t even gotten that far. I’m contending with the symbol library, which is a much more fundamental problem in my view.

I also know that some hidden file has been held over during the reinstall, because KiCAD remembers all the project folders I have opened, even after I uninstall it. I am looking for it. The web page above suggests looking for an …\AppData\Roaming\kicad folder for files to clean up. I do not see any such folder.

I can see .pretty and .lib files in subfolders of C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad on my hard drive. KiCAD does not seem to be finding them though.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Answering my own question:

I did eventually find an …\AppData\Roaming\kicad folder. It wasn’t in the expected place! This may have something to do with my employer’s use of OneDrive.

Once I uninstalled KiCAD again, deleted the straggling folder, and reinstalled, I got the expected “KiCAD is running for the first time” dialogs. And once I passed through that dialog, I have access to my symbol library again.

1 Like

Good!
Don’t forget to edit the title of your thread as “solved”.

1 Like

I suppose deleting the …\Roaming\kicad folder could be enough.

This is the normal place, this is the settings folder and it sounds like you ended up with a bad symbols table.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.