[Solved in 8.0.0] Schematics Bug: Printing PDF, the file is without connections

I had to print in PDF the following schematics (I post here just a section)

Here the exporting settings (however nothing changes by changing them)

and here the result

instead of by plotting it, everything is fine.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x64 on x64

Version: 7.0.10-71-g9ceace2a47, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.2.1
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.4.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22631), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jan 17 2024 04:13:52
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.4.0-DEV
ngspice: 41
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I checked the result of printing printout of some of my projects - all trie

I checked the printing results for some of my projects - the printout looked ok (used also the builtin Microsoft Print To PDF driver). So until now this is not reproducible for me.

You could attach a small project. And include your used JSON color-file, because this could be relevant for this issue.

it’s the default one

Your screenshot (first picture) looks somehow customized. My kicad default color theme has not that yellow background, and also not that black symbols and also not that black wires.

the yellow background is: right click on the rectangle and chose for the background color.

So this is most probably no generic “printing doesn’t works”, it’s specific to your schematic, maybe due to the use of colored graphics.
We need a example to reproduce the issue (and then decide if this can be fixed).

Note that z-ordering of objects (wires in front/behind of something) is not supported in kicad, so it could be that the result is different depending on the output device (display, print, plot).

Please here it is
KicadISSUES.zip (170.4 KB)

Yes, with that example I can reproduce the issue.
some findings:

• it’s really the filled rectangle which disturbs the printing - printing in general is working ok.
  • the printing works in kicad v8, albeit I don’t know if reliable or accidentally
  • if you provide such a example directly from the start you save my time, your time and much discussion (This also applies to open gitlab issues)
  • I will link your example to the gitlab-issue, so it can be reproduced there also
2 Likes

There was a bug fix for filled rectangles in pdf, in 7.99 and soon after 7.0.10 release

1 Like

Confirmed: solved in 8.0.0