[SOLVED] I broke my installation - Unable to find file on startup

I’m running KiCad 6.0.3 on Ubuntu 20.04 and due to the recent bugs I tried to compile 6.0.4 myself as the build on the official repo failed last night.

I ran install all sorts of issues building and installing and subsequently broke my 6.0.3 install.

No problems I thought - Just remove and reinstall.

Removed kicad* and removed .config/kicad

I’ve now reinstall 6.0.3
sudo apt install --install-recommends kicad

And on running KiCad I get

Screenshot from 2022-03-19 13-28-35

I’ve searched for the file and its under
/usr/share/kicad.....
and not
/usr/local/share/kicad.....

I’ve tried removing and re-installing multiple times and can’t get rid of this error. Is there some config file I need to remove that I’m overlooking?

Update: This always seems to happen. I find the solution after posting :slight_smile:

My 6.0.4 compile installed the kicad file to
/usr/local/bin/kicad

When uninstalling kicad it left this file in place. Installing 6.0.3 put it in
/usr/bin/kicad
whch then completely confused things.

I’ve now uninstalled, removed the kicad file and re-installed and all good.

Guess I"ll just be patient and have to wait until 6.0.4 comes up.

If you run just “kicad” the system finds it from the default PATH where /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin. Therefore it runs the self-compiled version. You can run /usr/bin/kicad (the packaged version) from a terminal window and it should work even if the self-compiled installation has problems.

If someone tries to compile the development or bugfix testing versions, I recommend Build from source - simple instructions to compile KiCad for some Linux distributions.

This specific problem, “can’t open images.tar.gz” means that for some reason or another the UI icon set wasn’t installed when after compilation “make install” was run. IMO It should have been installed if the default configuration/compilation/installation procedure was used.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.