[SOLVED] How to Import Footprint from FreeCAD (StepUp)

Hi, recently I drew a footprint for a push button in FreeCAD that I want to import into Kicad. But something does not work correctly. The issue is probably sitting in front of the computer… :sweat_smile:
I tried to use StepUp to generate a footprint but when I import it into Kicad (5.99) I get only the outline built out of arcs and lines instead of a shape. Do I need to configure something special?

Same happens when I export to DXF and import to Kicad. I thought that it was possible to create shapes out of the lines but this doesn’t seem to work when arcs are included, maybe it’s not yet implemented.

Any ideas how to get the footprint into Kicad?

those pads have to be as polylines … you have examples in ksu demo menu

Thanks for you reply but I’m confused. Can I also create arcs on poly lines? But shouldn’t it make any difference. Poly lines are connected lines and all my lines are also connected. Some of the examples also look like they use normal lines and circles.

It looks like you don’t want a 3D-Model but, rather just a shape that will become Copper for part of the circuit (as in a Touch-Pad or another item (like a Button) to make contact.

That being the case, it’s very simple (no need to use Stepup at this point)

In FreeCAD: Tools>Save Picture, Extended, set to a size and set background as Transparent. Save as PNG

Then, open Kicad’s BMP Tool, load the PNG and adjust as needed. Export it to Pcbnew… see below…

Then, load a Footprint into a PCB (select the one just exported).

Double-Click it, Edit Footprint, Double-Click it (in the footprint editor) and change layer to desired Copper Layer.

Draw a Silkscreen around it.

Results - showing before/after moving to Copper layer

Thx, you suggestion works fine.

@Werni2A
I just suggested you to use a demo footprint in StepUp to convert your sketch to a footprint…

btw have a look at the manual (ksu cheatsheet) also available in the demo menu

I see, thank you. For the next footprint I will give it a try.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.