[SOLVED] How does KiCAD decide which net label to use in PCB?

Just curious how KiCad decides which net name label to display in layout when a net has two names in schematic?

I have two sheets that have UART buses and one is named labeled UART8 and the other is named labeled UART-ESP and KiCad is calling the pins UART-ESP.XX in Layout.

Jacob

4 Likes

I hope that each net would have only one (1) name.

Less important is that labels should give net a name. If a net has several labels, they should have same name.

If remember well I have seen the schematic where someone:

• at one sheet gave the nets names according to microcontroller port names,
  • at other sheet there were crossing from that names to assigned (in that PCB) functions to each pin (two different labels at one wire going from one bus to second),
  • at other sheets with peripherals only the second net names were used.

Even I don’t use that way I see the logic behind it. Why to not allow for it? The best software is such that don’t knows better then me what I want.

I incorrectly was calling the net label the net name. @eelik provided the link that answered my question. Based on the documentation since the labels in question are at the same level then the ‘-’ <ASCII 0x2D> in USART-ESP is less than ‘8’ 0x38> in USART8 explains why the USART-ESP label was chosen due to the alphabetically clause (assuming that what the software is really doing is ASCIIbetically or UNICODEabetically).

Jacob

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.