[SOLVED] Errors occurred creating symbol library xxx-cache.lib

I’m running KiCad v5.0.2 on Debian and am busy with a schematic. I’ve created a library with a few custom parts.
Having a problem now whenever I save any changes on the schematic I get:
Errors occurred creating symbol library xxx-cache.lib

The changes are however saved and I don’t see any issues apart from the error.
I also have a file called xxx-cache.lib
There is no file however called *-rescue/

A pic of the error:

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Try to delete the cache lib file maybe it is corrupted. (But make a backup of it first)

Restarting kicad might also be a good idea.

You only get a rescue lib once kicad detects there is a difference between the symbols in your libraries and the symbols in your cache lib. If that happens you will be prompted to either rescue the affected symbol(s) (meaning copy to a rescue lib) or update from the library.

The strange thing is the mention of the symbol inside of a rescue lib. Check with tools -> edit symbol library reference if every symbol points to a valid symbol.

If you transfered this project over from v4 then you might be interested in this tutorial: Converting KiCad version 4 projects to version 5 (Remap a project)

1 Like

That did the trick thanks. You learn something new everyday. I wasn’t even aware of the edit symbol library reference.

There was one component that was pointing to a a rescue file (Which didn’t exist) I’ve removed and re-added the component which has fixed the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.