[SOLVED] Eeschema Python BOM Plugins not working

Trying to regenerate a BOM generated with v5.1.4 today, I got the following error on v.5.1.5

Command error. Return code 3
Error messages:
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]

This only happens with the BOM plugins that are Python based. (bom_csv_, bom_html_, etc.)

Application: Eeschema
Version: (5.1.5)-2, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.71.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.66.0
    Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

This is supposed to be fixed in 5.1.5_3 binary. Download 5.1.5 from official site again.

The v5 kicad releases are is a bit cursed on windows it seems. Has there even be one release where there was not some packaging issue requiring releases of _2 or even _3 releases? And that even thought there now were release candidate packages that should have helped detect such issues before the release. Maybe release candidates should be publicized a bit more and the time frame increased to get more testing done by the community.

@qu1ck I’ll try that, are the torrent files going to be updated also?

@Rene_Poschl that’s pretty much inevitable with lack of test coverage.
@der.ule yes, I will update torrents in a bit.

Updating to the latest release from the KiCAD website v5.1.5-3 solved the issue.

Application: Eeschema
Version: (5.1.5)-3, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.71.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.66.0
    Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

Thanks!

Such an updated installer is less of a problem for linux users as they get their updates automatically via the package manger.
Windows users are left in the dark here so this installer should really be tested a bit more thoroughly. (maybe the windows release should simply get a longer test period compared to other platforms? Maybe even wait for feedback from linux users and have it released a month or two later.)

Or kicad could implement a “there is an update available” feature to help windows users. (and linux users who do not use the package manager.)

The issues are not only exposed for the 5.1 releases, they also existed for the 5.1 branch and master branch nightlies. In other words there a new release candidates every day in that sense.

The thing is that the 5.1 branch “releases” are not really advertised on the kicad website. Maybe this would be a start to get more testing.

And for Debian based distributions 5.1 stable and nightly cannot be installed simultaneously with apt.
Of course, there is another option download and compile one of the versions.

So far Debian and it’s direct downstreams aren’t providing any nightly versions of KiCad.

Given the nature of Debian I doubt this will ever happen.

@tijuca Not Debian, Ubuntu, etc as distributions, but the ppa deb pakages from the “official” kicad maintainer js-reynaud, who I thank his daily efforts with the ppa.

I would like to be able to install 5.1 stable and 5.1 nightly from the ppa and be able to test the nightly, but in order to install one of them I must uninstall the other one.

Well, it’s simply a question if someone is willing to do the work, as always. Currently I wont do this additional work because I think the normal Debian archive isn’t the right solution for providing nightly versions. And some things are missing inside the upstream source to being able to make real side by side installations finally possible. This starts by currently using the same base installation folder and goes over to applications settings within the user profile which need to keep separately.
This is all solvable but I already have to much other things I like to do or want to work on. If anyone wants to start, feel free to contact me.

And that’s the point, you start at Ubuntu here (above you have written Debian :wink:), Ubuntu is a downstream of Debian, yes, but in many important things these two systems differing very much.

In fact I meant the deb package and I also meant all the Debian based distributions, presuming all of them use the same kicad deb package.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.