[solved] AMD Radeon RX6600 + Fedora 38 (extremely sluggish, 100% GPU Load)

Hello, I’m eperiencing extremely slow performance in Kicad 7 or Nightly build. Moving components around or trying to route traces is very laggy to the point where it’s unusable. In “radeontop” utility I can see “Graphics Pipe” load is 100% when dragging components, CPU load is very low below 10%. I have accelerated graphics selected everywhere in Kicad. In fact when I change to fallback graphics it’s way faster and snappier than on accelerated. My OS Fedora 38 is clean installed few days ago with everything default. Windowing system that I use is X11, I tried on Wayland and it’s also very slow.

My setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
RAM: 64GB
GPU: Radeon RX6600
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2

Have you tried installing the proprietary AMD Radeon drivers? It may be necessary to get performance even if you like open source. And welcome.

Any tips on how to do that? Everyone in the web says the open source drivers build into kernel are the best and there is no need to install proprietary drivers. I found this project https://github.com/CosmicFusion/fedora-amdgpu-pro that tries to repack amdgpu-pro RHEL drivers into fedora packages, I have installed it however it does not seem to make any difference inside Kicad.

Search for AMD Radeon drivers and there will be instructions with the download.

Drivers are not necessarily built-in, they are often loadable modules. Unfortunately when the hardware is proprietary open source may not have the knowledge to drive the hardware for performance.

Ok I have found the problem. My setup is that I actually have 2 graphics cards. RTX3060 and RX6600, I Use RTX3060 to do PCI Passthrough into virtual machine, and RX6600 for my Host OS, however RTX3060 is connected to PCIE port 0 (because then GPU is in it’s own IOMMU group which is required for VM passthrough), RX6600 is connected to the second PCIE port. And that probably causes bottlenecking. Now I have tried to move RX6600 into PCIE port 0 where RTX was sitting before, and Now everything in Kicad is fast, the lagging problem vanished.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.