(SOLVED) 3D model - how to update?

Hello,

I have edited a connector’s footprint but I don’t know how to edit a 3D model to match the footprint?

That’s out of scope for KiCad which can only show existing STEP and WRL models. You have to use a 3D CAD program.

Either search for a Step-File with the correct size online (i found some here WR-TBL Serie 322 - 3.81 mm Horizontal PCB Header | Elektromechanische Bauelemente | Würth Elektronik Produktkatalog but you have to check if they are correct and if you allowed to use it for your application (licence of the Step file)).

Or you can draw your own. You could use FreeCAD or any other CAD program that is able to export Step files.

Thanks a lot. It looks like the Wurth .step file works perfect. :grinning:

With manufacturer-provided and other random sources of 3d models (which are oriented willy-nilly), you can use the controls in the 3d tab of the footprint editor to tweak rotation and offset, which is really handy:

For thru-hole pins you can look at the bottom of the board and fine-tune the pin positions in the holes.

2 Likes

Yes, I did the tweak already :wink: Thanks.

Where should I put the third party 3D models to keep them in order?

I have one personal library folder that has everything (symbols, footprints, 3dmodels, datasheets, and database) in one place. I have edited all of my footprints to point to the 3dmodels folder. The database points to the symbols, footprints, and datasheets.
lib

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.