Solder Paste Pad dimensions are incorrect in standard library

The default solder paste dimensions on the 0201 components in the standard library are all incorrect. They are reduced in size and make automatic assembly almost impossible. Every PCB assembler I work with has mentioned it. Ends up having to use the solder mask layer instead of the paste layer.

I’ve fixed the paste layer Illl push it up at github.

1 Like

Looks like you’re right.

I just took a bunch of resistors from KiCad’s (V8) default library, and the R_0201 footprint is the only one with a solder paste mask smaller then the pads.

asdf_Resistors.kicad_pcb (17.4 KB)

Another curiosity is that the stencil aperture for the 0201 has a similar height to width ratio as the other resistors, but the pad’s don’t. I am guessing there may be more going on here, but I have no experience with such small resistors and don’t know what it should be.

I remember (but not perfectly) the situation when for very small pads (it was in IC) I had to specify smaller solder paste clearance than for all others at PCB (that were set by Board setup clearance and 0 in footprint pads to use that global). May be such conception is behind 0201 KiCad definition.