Solder Mask Over Traces When Rest Of Copper Layer Is Bare

I want bare copper on the front and back copper layers for heat sinking. How to ensure there is solder mask covering the traces?

If you want bare copper, you want to ensure there’s no solder mask covering the traces. Just add a graphic lines or polygons in the mask layer which covers those areas. The physical solder mask substance isn’t applied to those places where the KiCad’s mask layer is active.

You can show / hide the solder mask layers (Front & Back) in the Layers Manager:

Unlike (all?) other layers these are shown in negative. So everywhere you see the Purple / beige of the Solder Mask layers, the solder mask is removed.

If you want big cutouts in the solder mask to expose copper, you can select a Solder Mask layer (F. or B.) and then:

Pcbnew / Place / Polygon

to draw stuff on your solder mask layer.

In the “Layers Manager” you have a lot of controll on what’s visible on the screen. You can en/dis -able multiple layers by right clicking and selecting one of the options in the popup menu.
Look, I just drew a small cutout on the Front Soldermask layer:

3 Likes

Yah, I forgot that the solder mask is negative thinking, where it is it isn’t. I got my usage figured out. Thanks for your response.
–Larry

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.