Solar Pastor for Horses

I dare you to try it.

1 Like

It’s a pity most of you here don’t know Finnish

The page text translated to English by Google: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fi&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fyle.fi%2Faihe%2Fartikkeli%2F2006%2F11%2F16%2Fsahko-olli

Yes, it’s true. I never peed on it, but we used a cane of hay to touch it. Sometimes we put some metal object between the wire and the ground and left it there. The owner of the cows and the device gave complaints.

Regardless of the entertainment value of these incidents (and https://www.facebook.com/elavaarkisto/videos/hurjat-ja-sĂ€hköpaimen/271781663899393/ which unfortunately isn’t translated to English) they are real “use cases” which must be considered when designing this kind of device.

1 Like

Yes. But it’s not that simple, I think. Before, I put my hand close to the Pastormatic 2500 band and nothing happened to me.

:rofl:

6 Likes

LOL!

It just so happens that I made a “Shock Box” while of the age to be in High School. Some teacher stole it from me, and I stole it back after another teacher sent me to the Principlas office where the stolen items from students were kept.

The goal is to recreate what nature provides when a person walks across a floor and touches a door knob; but with a little more emphasis on having more pain.

E=IxR and P=IxE.

If one can not understand these, it is probably not a good idea to DIY an Electric Fence System.

I used to make capacitor discharge ignitions back in the days when cars had points and repair CRT televisions. I got shocked several times.
I doubt that you could have CRT TVs as a new product these days with the safety laws these days.

I have to watch this thread in case some thing reckless appears that could get the site owner into trouble in some countries.

I had never even heard of “electric shepherd” before. We have these fences against elephants in Malaysia and they usually kill someone every year.

1 Like

Yes, when you touch a door knob and you feel the discharge, you are transferring around 5,000V

The static shock from touching a doorknob is 5,000 volts, where an electric fence can have anywhere from 3,000-9,000 volts. Fence energizers produce low-amperage, high-voltage shocks, which are not harmful. Outlets produce high-amperage, low-voltage shocks, which can be dangerous to animals and people.

https://findanyanswer.com/can-an-electric-fence-kill-a-human

It is possible to buy flybacks in electronic stores. On aliexpress there are several.

For example the models:
BSC24
BSC25
BSC26
BSH8-N505 BSH8-N506
FBT-08

For elephants 6000~9000V 5mA are used.
https://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/640461601077146570/ELECTRIC-GUIDE-For-fence25-Sept2020.pdf

I suppose that it would be necessary to go testing from less to more until seeing what voltage it retains, according to the animal.

I really think it has a lot to do with what is on the other side of the fence and persistence of the creature.
If there is food on the other side of the fence and the animal is hungry it will endure a certain amount of pain to try to appease its appetite.
If there is a cow performing her tricks on the other side of a fence to a randy bull, well, look out fence, electric or not!

Generally, from experience, I’ve found horses are far more submissive than cows or sheep.

I really don’t like electric fences though, there is usually a better way.

Microwave Ovens are worse. They are far more unforgiving to the careless repair person. :star_struck:

But opened far less often than a TV in the days of valve LOPT

Elephants are smart and are known to use tools like trees to knock down electric fences

I’d forgotten all about valves.

At least in those days there was a nice big transformer to isolate the mains
 in my country it was a requirement.

They were better than the SMPS colour TVs. The SMPSs were always placed at the back of the TV so you had to reach over them to take any measurements. I’d hate to think of how often I had a mains belt on a forearm.

Before the true SMPS, we had the chopper power supplies with live chassis. Those were lethal.

Sometimes I forget this is a very international site.

I’m in Victoria, Australia. We were very late to take on colour TV. It was 1975. By then, all the brands were transistors and ICs
 no valves. Most were SMPS, but a few still used a mains Tx.
Live chassis not permitted here.

From Canary Islands (Europe). CRT tv haven’t been used for years.

I have touched one of these with shoes on and it hurts

DO NOT TRY TO BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC FENCE!
Sorry for shouting, but unless you truly know what you are doing (and the posts here tell me you do not) you run a serious risk of injury or death for you and your animals.
Having worked as a design engineer for an electric fence company here in New Zealand, I can tell you there is a lot of effort that goes into shaping and timing the pulse to reduce the risk of inducing fibrillation.
We worked from a chart known as the “C2 line” which was a boundary line on a time vs body current graph. The line represented a 1 in 140,000 chance of the pulse causing fibrillation. The units we designed delivered pulses with less than 1:140,000 chance of fibrillation. This was based off standard body resistance of 500 ohms (worst case).
For a fence to be effective for a horse you will need at least 1 joule / 8kV pulses on a typical single paddock fence. This is enough to kill if you get it wrong.

This is also the job that almost killed me - stupid mistake on my part picking up a prototype board that had been off for half an hour. The capacitors were still charged and I got a 900V DC 25J shock, arm to arm, that burnt holes in my fingers and left me shaking for an hour afterwards. I was damn lucky to survive that one.
Safety first ppl.

6 Likes

With @TwoSpoons wise advice I think that I will lock this thread