Socket and socketed component

Greetings: Environment: KiCad V5 & MacOS Monterey

I am making a little plug-in board that carries a real-time clock (RTC) chip. It needs a backup battery and the backup battery needs a holder (aka “socket”). Both need to appear on the BOM. Of course, I can add one or the other to the BOM, manually, but that leads to a high probability of errors.

How do I add both to the schematic and avoid warnings/errors of “unconnected pins”, “unconnected pads”, and or a surplus pads that never appear on the PCB?

I would think that this is the same problem as with socketed ICs.

Many thanks
Jim Wagner
Oregon Research Electronics

Right click on the battery, open properties, and centre bottom is the list of attributes.
Tick “Exclude from board”

Same for an IC: the IC is not soldered to the board. Only the socket is.

Kicad 5: Only just noticed. Properties attributes are probably different in Kicad 5. I don’t remember; 5 was some years ago.

I don’t know if you have noticed, but Kicad is up to Version 8 now days.

Know about 8. I started this project back when 6 was brand new. I have two software “rules” I follow: (1) never change major revs of mission-critical software mid-project unless forced to, and (2) never be an early adopter of mission-critical software. Both got in the way on this project.

I will look for something like that in V5. Thanks
Jim

Fair enough! :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you may be out off luck with 5 for this feature but some hoary wizened old-timers tell fireplace tales of a # hack.

I won’t be using V5 again. With converting from the old V5 there can be some issues (especially if the -cache or -rescue files are missing, but I’t just run it through the conversion and be done with the old V5. If there is a problem you can always revert to a backup in V5 (Assuming you have that of course).

Is this a DIY product, or is it commercial? Maybe collaboration with other people? This will determine a lot of how you want to generate BOM generation. One option is to put extra symbols on the schematic, (without pins) just to have en extra entry for the BOM. You can even put these on a separate sheet for “Extra Parts” and add a not for why these exist.

Commercial project, one man shop.

I DID find the feature in V5 There is an option to omit from board and another to omit from BOM.

Appreciate the pointer(s)!

Jim

3 Likes