SoC Zynq Development Board

Hi YoshimitsuSunny,
I was not planning to release KiCAD design public, because it is not fully my schematic design, but design from a course. I do not have built the PCB, because 10-layer PCB is out of my hobby budget :slight_smile: and I cannot confirm if there are no mistakes in design.

If you are taking the same course, I would recommend you to create your own symbols and schematics, because in mine there can be some mistakes which could cause your project not to work.

Wish you best of luck

That is a bit of a silly argument. By releasing the Gerbers (which can be turned into a PCB design again easily) and a pdf of the schematic (just manual / boring re-entry) you have already released all information to re-create this project. In the spirit of open source (Like KiCad itself), the preferred way is to simply release the whole project, give some credit to your own sources and put on a disclaimer that you’re not responsible if the world explodes because of mistakes you may have made in your project. With that, you can save others from some tedious hours to cleanup the data and turn it into a complete KiCad project again.

For YoshimitsuSunny, Zynq is quite popular, a short search with RepoRecon suggest around 10 projects for Zynq, including some who claim to have a KiCad project, but I have not looked any deeper.

The reason I uploaded schematics in PDF and gerbers public is that, when you start Phils Lab course you also get PDF schematics and gerbers which is already not some secret. Of course, you can recreate schematics and PCB design from gerbers with some work, but that’s the main point of the course to put some work and design it.

The author of the course and design do not shared the project files because the reason of the course is to design schematics and PCB by yourself and learn from that.

If the reason is just “Copy/Paste” instead of “just manual/boring re-entry” of design, then okay I will share design files with the credits of the author and a disclaimer on GitHub (but later, currently I have some other work to do). I am against “manual/boring re-entry” and would gladly save other people time, but if you want just a reference while you are working on your own design, why it is not enough what I have uploaded?

It’s not that I am greedy, I am using a lot of open source tools which I am very grateful to use and I want to help others too.

1 Like

I’m getting a bit confused here about who did what and how much of that :slight_smile:

Below a screenshot form Phils Lab “Advanced Digital Hardware Design” course (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv0oaumkzjg&t=51s)

Somewhere around there I get lost and don’t know what to thinks about it anymore.

What to get confused about?

I took the course like I said in my first post. During the course, I:

• Created symbols and footprints in KiCAD
  • Created schematics (was looking at course project schematics which were in PDF and studied course material as a reference)
  • Created PCB in KiCAD (main component placement is almost identical of a course but supportive components and layout I have done from scratch from what I learned during the course)

The course does not have released full KiCAD or Altium project, at least from how much I know.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.