SO-239 Connector Symbol & Footprint

Hi all, is there a symbol/footprint for an SO-239 UHF connector that I am just not finding in the library? If not, does anyone have one and is willing to share?

Can you please provide a link to the data sheet of the one you will be using? First one I pull up is a chassis mount, so, no footprint on the board.

Yes, it is a chassis mount connector, here is the datasheet: https://www.snapeda.com/parts/83-1R%20(SO-239)/Amphenol%20RF/datasheet/

The way I’ve seen this done is like this:

I’m new so I can only upload one image, but I think you get the idea. This is what I was hoping to do.

Well, for symbol just search coax.

At worst you might do the same with the symbol and rework the footprint. Or, the page you linked to offers to let you download from there. :wink:

Learning to make symbols and footprints saves time in the long run.

Yes, I see that they have the board mount SMA connectors of various flavors, but not the SO-239. I’ll have to bite the bullet and see if I can create an equivalent footprint as in the photo. Thanks for checking it out and replying!

I didn’t check out the dimensions but many overlap. The one pictured might be the same. Sometimes minor changes in the part means a new number so check the dimensions in some of the current ones.

I agree with hermit that making your own footprint probably saves time in the long run. Certainly it is better than using something which you think is correct, and it turns out that the connector does not fit. PCB layout is like design engineering in that so much of it is details, and we need to embrace that part of the job.

Making your own custom footprints is an essential part of PCB design. One of the reasons I started to use KiCad years ago was because the footprint editor even back then already was quite good and easy to use.

Once you’ve got all the numbers for coordinates and know what pad sizes you want to make, then making a footprint out of it in KiCad is about 5 to 10 minutes of work, unless you keep on fiddling on small things such as getting the silkscreen perfect, adding 3D models and other not strictly necessary parts. Those can be real time consumers. The Footprint Editor is well integrated into KiCad and uses the same GUI approach, so most of the learning curve will be in how to translate a drawing into an actual footprint, and a bit into the library management. But learning to work with the Footprint GUI should be a breeze.

Also have a look at the footprint wizards. They’re not very useful for this Footprint, but many multi-pin footprints can be made with them easily and efficiently. You start the wizards with: Footprint Editor / File / Create Footprint… Those Wizards typically are a few pages of Python script, so if you have a Wizard you like, but does not quite do what you want, it should be easily adoptable.

I tend to be pretty lazy when it comes to making footprints. Usually I just modify an existing footprint.

In this case, the footprint @hermit posted would do the job.
I’d:
save that footprint into a personal library,
measure the connector,
change the grid to a convenient distance for the pad placement,
move the pad centres to their new position,
edit the size, shape and holes for the pads,
change the grid to a convenient distance for the F.Fab, F.Silk & F.CrtYd,
drag F.Fab, F.Silk & F.CrtYd,
change the grid back to the pad distance,
edit properties,
save & done.
Probably quicker to do than write about, and this way I get the right thickness and right layers for the graphic lines.

Ok, so I started with the SMA connector and modified it to this:
(module SO-239_Amphenol_83-IR_Female_Chassis_Mount (layer F.Cu) (tedit 608184E0)
(tags “SO-239 Amphenol 83-IR Female Chassis Mount”)
(fp_text reference REF** (at 0 11.43) (layer F.SilkS)
(effects (font (size 1 1) (thickness 0.15)))
)
(fp_text value “SO-239 Amp 83-IR” (at 0 13.97) (layer F.Fab)
)
(fp_line (start 12.7 -20.32) (end 12.7 12.7) (layer F.SilkS) (width 0.12))
(fp_line (start 12.7 12.7) (end -12.7 12.7) (layer F.SilkS) (width 0.12))
(fp_line (start -12.7 12.7) (end -12.7 -20.32) (layer F.SilkS) (width 0.12))
(fp_line (start -12.7 -20.32) (end 12.7 -20.32) (layer F.SilkS) (width 0.12))
(fp_text user %R (at 0 0) (layer F.Fab)
)
(pad 1 thru_hole circle (at 0 0) (size 20.32 20.32) (drill 16.6624) (layers *.Cu *.Mask))
(pad 2 thru_hole circle (at 9.1186 9.1186) (size 4.191 4.191) (drill 3.175) (layers *.Cu *.Mask))
(pad 2 thru_hole circle (at 9.1186 -9.1186) (size 4.191 4.191) (drill 3.175) (layers *.Cu *.Mask))
(pad 2 thru_hole circle (at -9.1186 -9.1186) (size 4.191 4.191) (drill 3.175) (layers *.Cu *.Mask))
(pad 2 thru_hole circle (at -9.1186 9.1186) (size 4.191 4.191) (drill 3.175) (layers *.Cu *.Mask))
(pad 3 smd rect (at 0 -16.51) (size 3.81 6.35) (layers F.Cu F.Paste F.Mask))
)

Does this look correct? Am I missing anything important? Thanks for all of your suggestions!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.