SMD components foot print and selection

okay now got how to measure the components thanks . But still not able to find a berg strip connector. Please help

Connector_PinHeader_2.54mm

1 Like

hi i am using an LM7805 5V regulator with a TO-220package. Now i will be mount it vertically . That is just imagine the pcb is placed at the bottom of the image and the component is mounted straight through. Now which To220 package do i choose for the foot print there are many like 220-2 then 220-3 etc .Then the is is verticle and horizontal.

Please help

Well look at both packages it will become quite obvious which one will fit (either in the footprint editor or in one of the review options when assigning See How can i assign a footprint to a symbol?).

I think you want TO-220-3_Vertical.

1 Like

Man you take all the fun out of it.

2 Likes

It was my New Year resolution.

Man it’s the third of January, a bit more dedication please!
:joy: @Rene_Poschl @bobc

hey i need to use the SMD variant of the CD4017 IC. Now when i am assigning footprint it automatically gives me a selection of the 16 pin DIP Package (see pic below). However none of the footprints match the datasheet. all the footprints have the length of IC as 20mm but as per datasheet it is 10 mm. See fig below. where do i get the footprint

It’s not difficult to make one pretty close to that by yourself.

Or use something like SOIC-16_3.9x9.9mm_P1.27mm.

1 Like

What are the key information to start using footprint generation scripts?
I didn’t found such subject in FAQ.
I have run only scripts generating BOM, but they are directly integrated in schematic.

I was writing/using scripts myself but it was long time ago (*.bat files in DOS times). They were just run in the operating system needing no special program to open them. When I click at *.py file Windows asks me to show which program to use to open that file and I don’t know if I shell allow Windows to use web to find the right file (whenever I allowed to use web to find driver for any new hardware it never found it).

@eelik shows the footprint wizard. While there is a script in the background i would not consider it a script from the point of view of the user.

Because the wizard creates shitty footprints. Simple as that.

If you want a proper footprint generator head over to our proper scripts. These are really scripts even for the end user as you really need to run a python program and feed it its needed information via a setup file (in yaml format).
For gullwing parts (including SOIC) see https://github.com/pointhi/kicad-footprint-generator/tree/master/scripts/Packages/Package_Gullwing__QFP_SOIC_SO (documentation see readme file)

For no lead packages (example DFN/QFN) see https://github.com/pointhi/kicad-footprint-generator/tree/master/scripts/Packages/Package_NoLead__DFN_QFN_LGA_SON

What is yaml format?

1 Like

hey high so i need to draw pads on my PCB so that i can directly solder the wire to the pad. see image below.

Hi guys so if you see i had asked about the footprint for SMD SOIC type CD4017. EElik suggested to make it myself. So i started seeing the you tube kicad tutorial and saw that i could add the digikey libraries. In the video he shows a 18 pin soic footprint. So i added the digikey library and viola i have my footprint. Nice . I can see that digikey has a lot of foot prints.
In fact in the youtube video he makes a badge and the battery holder and switch is from the digikey library

It certainly is worth adding the digikey library

It looks like it’s not good to add one line of text under a large picture because it will go unnoticed. I wrote this:

It was there all the time in the KiCad library.

What confuses me as that @Khirad_Dhabhar writes about an 18 pin package in their last response. I hope they mistyped or at least notice their mistake before ordering.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.