Single sided THT Component without a plated hole

Hello everybody

I want to make a footprint that has pins as shown in the pictures.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Lorenz!

Similar questions must have been asked before.

https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=npth

(npth = none plated through hole)

The manufactures require either clearance around a NPTH or annular ring on both sides for a PTH. If you send them gerbers and drill files which have a NTPTH and a pad without clearance, or a PTH without an annular ring, they may guess and modify it without asking or ask you what to do.

In general, no matter which one need, you have to have more than one pads for this in KiCad. Just play with NPTH, PTH and SMD and other pads and give them the same pad number. If you need more exact information you have to tell if you want NTPH or PTH and for example the datasheet for the actual component so that we can tell what may work.

Recently my contract manufacturer asked me if the holes (no copper around them) I wont plated or not plated. He said that some PCB manufacturers now can make plated holes even without annular ring.
We agreed that to be clear from now on I will generate separate drill files for PTH and NPTH.

I suppose (not sure) here we consider one sided PCB. The footprint can have pads at both sides. If you send only bottom side gerber no one will consider making one side PCB with plated holes.

Why? If you have a single sided process just ignore the second layer. If you have a multi layer process then use plated through holes as they improve solderability.

I have an application where I need a double sided PCB but I want to make some components easy to desolder. Therefore I only want copper on one side of these components and no plated through holes.

You should start from this. It is frequent that beginners designing one side board worry about the pad on second layer and we have no clairvoyant here to know this is not the case this time.

Never tried this but suppose that if you place one SMD pad and one NPTH pad with the same number and at the same place then you probably get what you wont (just check it). Then when generating the drill file I would generate separate files for PTH and NPTH and it should be clear for PCB manufacturer that you wont NPTH here. But never tried this.
My experience is opposite. Once upon a time I have ordered one side designed board as double sided just to have PTH.

Going out of your question. Are you sure you need that components to be desoldered?
I’m asking because (also long time ago) I was told that some designers assume RS485 driver ICs being as bulbs and they wear out during time and need to be replaced from time to time. Their experience came from the fact that they didn’t know how to effectively protect these drivers against Surge impulses.

Plated holes are a standard process while some board manufacturers charge more for non-plated holes.

Is this a “professional” or more a “hobby like” project?

For easy removal you can solder THT components on SMD pads.
If it is expected to do the de soldering a lot (For example for test jigs) then put at least 2 small via’s through each pad. These will prevent the pads from getting ripped of the PCB during (re-) solder iterations.

Then there is also the option to drill out the via plating yourself. For a small batch it may be easier then trying to communicate with your PCB manufacturer which holes to (not) plate.

Also, just making the holes bigger and leaving the plating intact already makes it easier to desolder your components.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.