Single layer, through hole, zone fill + jumpers, how to make it work?

That’t my first pcb project ever and i wanted to start with kicad so i drew a schematic to play with, i mean it’s not a real project.

Anyway, i met this problem where i tells me that some pins are not connected to ground although i made a ground pour, i assumed that some isolated pours (right name??) are not connected to ground so i made some jumpers but the problem didn’t go away, but when i connected the pins through the bottom layer the problem vanished, doesn’t the program count jumpers as real connections?

Anyway, here’s some screenshots of the project and any comments about the layout would be great ( i know it’s bad).

(new users can’t upload more than 1 photo and can’t upload attachments? what i’m supposed to do?)

Stick around, read a couple of other threads and those limits will be lifted automatically by the forum software - it’s to keep the workload for moderators low in regards to spamming by new “users” :wink:

For copper fills to actually pour an area, there need to be pads/tracks/vias of the same net as the filled zone is set to.
A jumper for single layer boards will have that same net on one end and a different net on the other end - thus it won’t fill that area.
A way around that - I haven’t tested it - is to connect both pins of the jumper in the schematic to that same net, no idea though if the ERC has a problem with that though.

I modified the title a bit to draw others in, who will have more experience with this kind of problem.

Via the search there came up this neat and clean solution for your problem:

do you mean like that? i made that idea before but i thought it was stupid so i edited it before i upload the schematic here :smile:
thanks for the help though :wink:

The board is extremally bad. Why?

1. It’s too large for that project.
  2. There is no logic in component placement.
  3. This is single side PCB so all tracks should be on the bottom (B.Cu) not on the top (F.Cu).
  4. Many tracks block the GND zone to fill and connect all pads - that’s why you have unconnected pads.
  1. There is no logic in component placement.

okay, how to know the right place for them? is there any rules? any place to start with?

Practice and observation of good practice. Adjust project to imposed constraints.
Remember: the good board doesn’t rise by the first take.

1 Like

Unless you are planning to etch your own board, there is little price reason to use single sided over double sided PCBs these days. The advantage of double sided is that you get plated through holes and therefore easy soldering. No more jumpers either.
Single sided design is actually harder than double for a beginner.

2 Likes

hey, i’m very sorry about the disruption, but i made another layout and i wanted a review
i know it’s not the right place for reviews (or is it?) but i don’t know anywhere else
anyway, here is the layout

red traces will be replaced with jumpers…
(and kicad also insists that pins 3 of u1 and u2 are not connected)

Have you tried restarting kicad. In opengl mode i observed that sometimes pcbnew does not update the display.

Also run a drc.
It does more than just check that the design rules are followed correctly.

As part of the drc you can also let kicad list all unconnected connections.
If this list is empty everything should be connected.

1 Like

It is easy for a track to fail to be connected to another track or pad due to DRC fussiness even though the copper is clearly continuous

By the way i think you could really use a gnd plane here.

If you move R2 and R3 appart the gnd plane could even reach the second 3 pin part from the left.
(The second IRFZ44) This would result in one less Jumper you have to make.

1 Like

great, but is it a good idea to use the same ground plane for high current paths(of the mosfets) and signal paths?
can i use a ground plane only for either “block” of them?

i always run DRC, and the same problem shows under (unconnected) tap
what is opengl mode anyway? i switched to it and only a few things had changed…

should i just ignore it?

There is really no good reason to separate ground planes.
(At least not according to my professors at the university who specialize in EMC testing and EMC aware design.)

More info see this old post of mine:

This is the new “canvas” (=user interface)
It uses opengl to render the interface (hence the name)
It also will be the only canvas in future versions of kicad. (once all features have been ported)

The opengl canvas includes interactive routing and differential pairs. It also shows the mask layers.
But some features might be missing. (I never used legacy so i don’t really know of anything i miss.)

1 Like

If you mean the drc error for not connected: Hell no!
Investigate why drc thinks there is something missing.
It looks like there is no correct connection to the plus pin of C22 (Top trace looks fishy)
But this could also stem from the low image resolution.

1 Like

great! thanks for your helpful replies :smiley: