Simulate a cable connection in schematic / pcb?

Hello,

I need to implement a module onto my board that has 4 Wires coming out of it. Vin+,Vin-,Vout+,Vout-. Because I didnt know better, I created a component with 4 in/outs and a footprint with 4 pads. The thing in the pcb editor is that it wants to put these onto copper which I dont want at all. Second, for the connection I used a screw terminal for the input jack and connect it towards the footprint but kicad always wants that I draw a wire between these components but I dont want / need that, as its connected via cable.

How could I fix that ?

Thanks !

Are the dashed lines indicating two separate pcb?
If so, use a 0.1" header each side of the pcb separation, and link with tracks. This copper connection will be disconnected when you break apart the two pcb.

I am not entirely sure what you want to do here.

You say your module is connected with wires.

But why do you make a footprint for a module if it is connected with wires to screw clamps?

My best guess is that your module is not on the PCB at all, and you want to connect it to screw clamps.
In such a case I would use a schematic symbol with four screws, or at least put them closer together.

By default, KiCad puts every schematic symbol on the PCB, and for that it needs a footprint for every schematic symbol.
You can add a hash tag in front of the RefDes (A.k.a. “Reference” in KiCad) to suppress this part from being included in the BOM and the PCB.

You have a symbol for U3 (WG8…)
Now you need a corresponding footprint.

1. If the symbol was in an existing lib, there is some chance there is an existing associated footprint. Use the edit feature to look at symbol properties to check.

2. If you created the symbol, then you can create a footprint. See the FAQ on footprints.

Hi Daniel_Do,
From the posted picture, I am guessing that you want to connect the WG-40S1210 power converter to your board. I referred to the datasheet of the part and saw the dimensional drawing given there. If that is the part then, you can place the required schematic symbols as shown below. First, you will need to create a footprint for the part WG-40S1210 and save it in the library referring to the drawing shown in the official datasheet. Then use Eeschema to obtain three schematic symbols as shown below:

Here I have used a 2-pin connector as an example because the dimensional drawing shown in the datasheet has 2 holes. Along with that, I have added one 2-pin input connector and one 2-pin output as the module has two input wires and 2 output wires. You can simply create footprints for these three parts and assign them to these symbols. Then create a netlist and import these to PcbNew.
You can see that they are imported and are on the board without any connections between them.

If this feels too complicated you can just open PcbNew, click on add footprint option as shown.

Open the footprint you have created and saved for that module. Simply you can place that footprint on your board without any connections. This way you do not need to create a schematic first.

I suspect this might be of help Off-Board Components in KiCad 5

I don’t fully understand your needs.
I assume that starting from word “Second” you describe the second problem so everything about U3 is before it. I understand that U3 is something you put at PCB and connect its 4 wires to PCB. So you need a place for it at PCB and 4 holes(pads) for wires to be soldered to. One of possible solutions is the right footprint having the place for it and 4 pads for its wires. But you write that you did it so there should be no problem. If there is a problem that means your footprint should be different.
You write that a problem is that U3 is put at the copper. I understand that you are saying about filled zones you have there (and not only tracks). If you need to remove some copper from zone you can use Keep-out area (tool at right side of screen).

Basically you should have in mind that KiCad is for PCB design and not device design. So schematic is the schematic of PCB and not of the whole device.
There are some work-arounds to have the schematic of whole device and at the same time be able to make PCB from it. I don’t use it. If I will need also the schematic of whole device I will do separate KiCad project having no PCB (only schematic) and I will define symbol of my PCB to be used at that schematic. Never did it but suppose will do it that way if will need it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.