Simple feature suggestion; on install create a skeleton (aka empty) set of folders for user library

I see a lot of new users are having trouble saving their custom or imported symbols, footprints and 3Ds.

It would be helpful if with the library install an unlocked user library folder framework was created. A new user could simply save their devices there. I believe they don’t have to worry about paths etc.

John

1 Like

I think the problem may be that too many of us want to save our files in different places. My top level folder for anything that I create is C:\Bob Data. I strongly dislike some of the system default locations. Of course maybe the software can ask you for a preferred location.

1 Like

I think this already happens, on Linux at least for sure. The top directory is ~/.local/share/kicad/<version>/ There however is a bug where the explorer cannot navigate to dot directories directly.

BTW it has to be created per user, not per machine.

Ok, here it is on my workhorse. I did not create them explicitly, they were created the first time I ran 7.0.

$ ls .local/share/kicad/7.0/
3dmodels  3rdparty  footprints  plugins  projects  scripting  symbols  template

I agree, I like to keep mine in the C:…\documents so it gets backed up with all my other documents.

The way I envision the structure, it would be purely optional to use. Directed at new users as a help to store their special parts without having to dive right into folder creation. I think of it a training wheels on a bicycle.

And as users get more comfortable they can do whatever they want.

1 Like

I think this is a excellent idea :grinning:
:mouse:

Don’t use Windows, but on Linux it’s created automatically as @retiredfeline says.

Curious, is this a feature added to the Linux install?

I dunno.
But I’m on 7.0.11 and it’s there. It was also there on 6.0.

I suspect it happens on all platforms from posts I’ve seen.

I found a folder “lib://Documents/KiCad/7.0” in Windows 11. There were no files. This must be what I was asking for.

It likely is documented in the help files or somewhere. I’ll remember now to suggest this path to newbie’s who find they can’t save to the Kicad Libraries.

Well, that proves that the developers are fabulous. They achieved negative response time to a feature request this time; the feature was implemented even before you thought of the request. :rofl:

2 Likes

I disagree.
This is almost encouraging newcomers to just “go drawing” instead of RTFM to get some basic fundamentals of the workflow under their belt before starting.

Has anyone read the new “Getting Started…” manual by @gkeeth ?

There are interesting comments such as:

The first step in drawing a new symbol or footprint is to choose a library in which to store it.

The location of the default library table files depends on operating system and may vary based on installation location. Below are the defaults for each operating system:

Basic devices like passive components, diodes, and other generic symbols are found in the Device library. Specific devices, such as a particular LED, may be found in other libraries.

The symbol pins all have small circles on them, indicating that they are not connected. Fix that by drawing wires between symbol pins as shown in the screenshot.

Finally, assign a footprint to each component. This defines how each component will attach to the PCB. Some symbols come with footprints pre-assigned, but for many components there are multiple possible footprints, so the user needs to select the appropriate one.

And on it goes. Well written and entirely suitable for the absolute novice.
If every newbee read and digested this, probably 30% of all questions on the forum would disappear.

Personally, I’d like to see this as compulsory reading for the novice before a mouse is allowed to be placed on a Schematic sheet.

Everybody learns differently. Your desire to control how others learn is frightening to me. (perhaps a little exaggerated). If I was presented with a piece of software that tried to force me to complete a “course” before I could even check out the software…it would go into the garbage.

1 Like

I disagree too, but with that remark :slight_smile:

Fooling’ a bit around to get an idea of how a program works and feels before investing seriously in getting to know it (such as reading manuals) is an approach I like very much. I’m not afraid of reading a manual, but too often you start with all kind of details in such manuals without getting the big picture clear. Having a “default” place for global user libraries is an idea that makes KiCad easier to use in my opinion.

1 Like

Admittedly, this is also how I started with Kicad; but I did have about 30 years of practice with Electronic CAD programs beforehand.
My “go drawing” was a discovery case for: “Oh that is how Kicad does it”, not, “what am I doing”.
When I had to resort to reading, it was usually the FAQ or forum. The Intro. guide was not what it is these days.

Being FOS, Kicad attracts a huge number of absolute beginners to CAD programs who don’t know “what they are doing”. So many forum threads reflect this.
I’ve no objection to absolute beginners; I welcome them, with open arms. I do think, however, that RTFM first (at least some of it) would give those beginners some insight as to what is before them.

I admit to being a when all else fails read the manual type of person. I do however strive not to bother anyone before I have done my own research, because for sure the moment I express the question, the :person_facepalming:, er, solution will come to me. Sometimes it’s not clear what the manual is talking about until you plunge your hands in. And there’s only so much you can remember of the manual between experiments.

It does however take a bit of metacognition to realise when you should stop flailing and review your assumptions, or read the manual, or ask for help.