Silkscreen overlap

Hi,

I get silkscreen overlap errors with the logos I made with Bitmap to component. In v5 there was not a DRC check for silkscreen, so everything went alright.

In v5.99 I get these errors wherever I place the logos, near, far, inside or outside the edge_cuts. I attatch a dummy layout file.
I do not know if this is a bug or an error within the footprints.

Can someone take a look at it? Thanks.

control-s21indra.kicad_pcb (64.8 KB)

Application: KiCad

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-2a3e6ee1b~104~ubuntu18.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.58.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1 zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-53-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, KDE, x11

Build Info:
Date: Nov 11 2020 10:41:55
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.22
Boost: 1.65.1
OCE: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.58.0
ngspice: 33
Compiler: GCC 7.5.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I believe this is a bug. I just don’t see any reason why this should trigger an error because the error seems to be between two different footprints which are far away from each other. But try to narrow it down before reporting, the silkscreen polygons in the footprints are pretty complex and there are several in one footprint.

I have been tinkering with some footprints, all converted with Bitmap to component, and the errors stay. All the arrows are around the top left corner no matter where I move the footprints.

The location of the arrows is one bug. But the errors shouldn’t exist at all. You can find the offending item by clicking one of the two items in the error list. The cursor is moved there (use full-window crosshairs to see it better). The top level line leads you to the arrow which is in the wrong place.

Thanks Eeli for your interest.

I have already followed this route. In fact I have a real layout with some other logos.
With a single logo there isn’t any problem: it doesn’t overlap other items like footprint silkscreens or references.

But with more than one logo there are a lot of errors. I every case the arrows are located around the “real” origin of the page (the (0,0) top-left corner of pre v5.99 versions) no matter where I move the board or move the a single logo.

I have also edited the .kicad_pcb file. But the logos are made of tens of tiny poligons. It is difficult to see why 2 footprints are overlapped that far.

I would like to know if other users find the same errors with other converted bitmap-to-component footprints.

Yes, make the simplest possible footprint: a 3-corner polygon on Silk. Placing two of them on an empty board creates two DRC errors. There are at least three bugs:

1. Arrow in the wrong place.
  2. The same error is reported twice (the two items are in a different order in them).
  3. There is an error in the first place, while they don’t overlap.

EDIT: two bugs shouldn’t be reported in one issue, but in this case it’s very difficult to say if fixing the number 3 would still leave other bugs unfixed, or are they really a result of one underlying bug. IMO the number 3 should be fixed first but then numbers 1 and 2 should be checked out again.

1 Like

This is kind of funny. I just introduced the same bug in the drawing code for unfilled polygons (along with another bug that made them all unfilled).

At least now the “arrows” and the “graphics” agree (even if they’re both in the wrong place now). :wink:

(1) and (3) were the same bug, but (2) was different.

No point in logging issues; they’re all fixed now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.