Silkscreen/ fab layer confusion

HI, I am using Kicad 8 and am working with a file that has reversed bottom silkscreen and partially reversed bottom fab details. The logo is readable in the correct direction. I am not sure what version of Kicad the file was created in.
There is a similar issue here in Kicad 7: Silkscreen error in back layer - #3 by Alex2

The 3D screenshot (the green one) is looking at the bottom side.
The 2D screenshot is also looking at the bottom side, after using View > Flip Board View.

What should silkscreens on the bottom layer look like? Is this correct or not?

And thanks in advance for responses!

The 3D viewer is pretty close to how silkscreen will look like on the final PCB. I.e, that means all your texts will be mirrored. (but not the logo).

I think there are some bugs around how KiCad handles the “mirrored” attribute of text. When a footprint is flipped to the back of the PCB, then the “mirrored” attribute of it’s silkscreen text is set (because it looks mirrored in the front view). At this moment the text is not actually mirrored when normally viewed by turning the PCB around (as you did with “flip view”).

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true… backside silk (B.Silkscreen) should appear reversed/mirrored when looking at it from the front flip-board-view unchecked. if you view with the flip-board-view checked the B.Silkscreen and B.Fab should appear “normal”/readable. Like Paul says the 3-D view is really how the board will end up after fab. (I usually use the 3D viewer to double check silk placement/readability etc.)

Be my guest, try it out. All (normal) text on the back layers has it’s “mirrored” attribute set. Regardless of the Flip Board View setting.

For me it would be logical if this Reversed Text attribute is only set if the text is actually in mirror image on the real PCB (regardless of whether the PCB is flipped), but unfortunately this is not the case in KiCad. I do not know whether this is a bug / oversight, or if it is intentional.

Example: With Flip Board View the Text on B.Silkscreen looks normal even though the “mirrored” / “reverse” icon is on.

It sounds like the clearest way to view the PCB as it will be fabbed is in 3D mode.
Thanks again for responses!

1 Like