Silent deployment

Hoc can I deply kicad silentlly?
kicad-5.1.6_1-x86_64.exe /s
doesn’t work.

I am probably not the person who would be able to give you the answer you are looking for. But although I understand the words in English, I have no idea what you mean by “deploy silently”. Perhaps it would be helpful to explain what is your objective.

I think it means installing with the installer without the GUI, using only command line.

kicad-5.1.6_1-x86_64.exe /S

Use capital S.
And it’ll take a bit to install regardless because it’s extracting thousands of small library files :confused: Even for me on Windows 10 64-bit on a silent install on an SSD, it easily takes 2 mins.
Also the user account has to be able to escalate to admin OR it must be runned as an admin account.

1 Like

It’s IT speak for automated deployment of software be it through a package manager OR group policy :wink:

Thanks. Just FYI; I do exclusively analog and power and I still do not understand. This is not an IT forum and I am not requesting further explanation. At least I got some dialog going for SteffenNetz.

He explicitly didn’t want a dialog :smile: :

2 Likes

Thanks eelik. That’s OK; we actually gave him a quadralog. (Dialog is 2; but I see 4 of us now.) :slight_smile:

maybe some people here know it by the term “headless” install… as from a “headless embedded system” :slight_smile:

Hi guys, I’m so amazed for your helpfulness. Thanks.
I’m sitting in an institute and have to install the software on many computers.
We call it silent deployment/install. We start in the background.
Is there a documentation. Is this a NSIS-Installer?
@eelik Can I avoid the dialog?
It seems asynchronous. Do I have the chance to see the success of install.
Some Log-Files?

At least @nickoe would know more about the installer.

Yes, it is NSIS intaller. I don’t know about avoiding the installer extraction dialog.

How many is many? A dozen? 50? 500? Over a dozen I would consider putting the application on a shared RO network drive. Unless you have application deployment software like ansible.

We are speaking about 10 to 20 installations. Yes we have deployment software (DSM by Enteo).
A network installation is not allowed with our policies.

If it would have been 100 I would have encouraged you to give a talk in the next KiCon. :slight_smile:

@SteffenNetz In principle you can just extract it locally (install it), add a script to add the mime handlers and zip that up. Then I guess your deployment tool could just use that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.