Should Edge.cuts stay visible even in dimmed/hidden display modes?

I’m interested in the forum’s opinion about whether Edge.cuts should remain visible even if dimmed/hidden display mode is selected or not (status quo).

The reasoning is: edge.cuts is the board outline and possibly routed cutouts and so is relevant on all layers. Ever so often - when concentrating on one layer - I would wish for being able to see the board outline.

Opinions welcome before I file a feature request (and get flamed to ashes :grin: )

I’m not sure, I think this must be tried out.
I’m personally satisfied with the current “dim” mode.

There is currently some work done for issue [Feature Request] PCB Editor: Add contrast between board and external space (#8112) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab. This could solve your problem with the edge cuts also visibility also, so maybe wait until that feature is released in the nightlies? I know you are always very fast with testing/using new versions.

2 Likes

I was not aware of this feature request.
That would be totaly sufficient (provided cutouts receive the ‘outside’ color as well).

Sure, I’ll wait and see.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I would not like this as a static implementation. It should at least be configurable.

But overall, I’ve been thinking about defining semi-automatic presets. At the moment there is a presets drop down box in the appearance manager, and it’s content is … pretty boring.
I would like this to be extended a lot with semi automatic settings which are configurable for different tasks.

For example, when a silkscreen layer is made the active layer, KiCad assumes you want to edit silkscreen (either front or back) and automatically switches to the preset for silkscreen editing, when you’re drawing a track, KiCad switches to the preset for track drawing.

Content of the settings that switch with such presets could be:

• Turning layer visibility on / off.
  • Dimming / highlighting.
  • Automatic symmetry whether working on top or bottom layer. (Depending on active layer).

I have not worked out details for this. The Idea is open for extension and refinement.

1 Like