Shortcuts never work, this is annoying

Shortcuts to close the window (on any of the kicad tools including PCBNew, EESchema, Main Kicad window, PCB Calculator, and Gerbv) do not work.

I am trying Ctrl+Q and also Ctrl+W

I am using Ubuntu 23.04

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.5-4d25ed1034~172~ubuntu23.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.1
	libcurl/7.88.1 OpenSSL/3.0.8 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.4 libidn2/2.3.3 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.4/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.52.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Ubuntu 23.04, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu-xorg, x11

Build Info:
	Date: May 27 2023 23:08:39
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.88.1
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 12.2.0 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Gitlab is over there

1 Like

So you are writing that they work???

If so, I agree.

What do you mean… . . haven’t read the title?

How many times should we report the same thing over and over through Kicad versions? It looks like every single change change in the code mess up the same things over and over again.

Do you know of any kicad version where those shortcuts worked? Because I’m pretty sure kicad doesn’t have shortcuts for closing windows (except standard escape to close a modal dialog) and relies on system shortcuts for that.

4 Likes

How many times should we report the same thing over and over through Kicad versions?

Who is we? How many times have you reported this on the bug tracker?

It looks like every single change change in the code mess up the same things over and over again.

Might wanna get your eyes checked if that’s what it looks like to you. Or adjust your language to reflect actual reality.

FWIW: Have you tried Alt-F4 ?

3 Likes

ok i’ll bite…

How many times have you looked at your own modifications to your DM?

1. Werks4Me in gentoo+sway
  2. clearly stated in the kicad src-code common/eda_base_frame.cpp · master · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab
  3. git blame shows that this entry has been there since a very long time…
  4. I even booted my $werk win11 laptop to test Kicad7-win and ctrl-q works for kicad
  5. I even downloaded the Ubuntu ISO, installed in Qemu, installed Kicad and ctrl-q works
  6. I even booted my sons Fedora and ctrl-q works for kicad

The ONLY times this doesn’t work is if a Modal dialog is open (eg info) or your OS grabs the keybind

So… What have you changed in your OS’s configuration to catch Kicad’s clearly hard-coded shortcut? (PSA… GNOME is renowned for doing this…)

Please try here: https://ubuntuforums.org/

2 Likes

Why would I try Alt+F4? Or even worse Alt+Fn+F4. Why would I try that?

Calc tool doesn’t have the shortcut working. This one has to be improved.

It works on other Kica windows, but sometimes it doesn’t.

I know what it does lol. It just doesn’t have to do anything with the related operating system.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.