Settin track width on PCB

I am creating a project, where some of the tracks will carry up to 5 A load, though not constant (iusing pwm). I have tried to use Net Classes to simplify specifying the width, but it seems this is not a good idea,. If I make a new class, let’s call i power, then alle connection hooked up will get a very large track, even small components hooked up to the same class.

I’m sure there is a better way to do this - would like to be able to specify track width from one point (connetion) to another, It’s a bit cumbersome to change property manually

Best regards

Ulf H.

You can use File > Board Setup > Design Rules > Predefined Sizes to set your required widths and then use hotkeys “W” & “Shift W” to scroll up and down your list of widths as you are laying the track.

Read your width either at the top LH corner or under the worksheet.

You might be able to break your net up into sections that can be assigned different net classes . . . then join them all using net ties.

The use of the “predefined sizes” is the best recommenation.
More options for you to explore:

• the button “use existing track width” on the right of the width pulldown menu
  • during routing press “E” hotkey (normally assigned for properties command). This gives you the track properties dialog and allows to interactively change the trackwidth to any value.

Read your width either at the top LH corner or under the worksheet.

This is misleading. Look always at the statusbar at the bottom of the worksheet for the currently used trackwidth. Depending on the settings the used trackwidth is not the choosen trackwidth from the pulldown menu. This bites me constantly even after 3 years with kicad.

note 1: this was intended as answer to ulf
note 2: it could be that the recommended “E” hotkey (during routing) invokes the “route from other end” command instead of the track width dialog. (there was a hotkey conflict on some v8-versions). In this case you have to delete the “route form other end” hotkey or change that assignment.