Set description of library?

Hi, I’ve created my own library for schematic parts.

In the Footprint Editor, when you do a Set Active Library, I see there is a Description field. How can I set the description?

Anyone know how to set the description?

have a look here
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg11782.html

Couldn’t see anything about the description field in that post…?

That is the description for a component, but I’m trying to set the description for the Footprint Library.

1 Like

I can tell you where it resides in the file system, no idea though if there is an option from within KiCAD (too lazy) for Windows7:

C:\Users\JohnDoe\AppData\Roaming\kicad\fp-lib-table

content:

(fp_lib_table

(lib (name SMDx)(type KiCad)(uri …\SMDx.pretty)(options “”)(descr “”))

)

So it could seem like the description is then not really a part of the library itself, but more something that can be added when you import a new library.

The GitHub repos doesn’t contain (as far as I can see) the “The way you like them.” text, so that is probably from the fp-lib-table you get when you install KiCad. When I import my own GitHub repository I can’t find a way to set the description, so I’m guessing there isn’t any GUI way of setting it. Most likely you have to manually alter the fp-libs-table file.

I added it into fp-libs-table, and then it showed up in the GUI. Too bad there isn’t any userfriendly way of setting it.

In Footprints Library Manager, just click on the cell in the Description column, then type your description.

1 Like

Thanks, bobc. That worked :smile:

I can’t edit that field when clicking on it in Footprint Editor Version: 5.99.0-unknown-2932fe1e6~106~ubuntu20.10.1, release build
Double-click expands and closes the library

“Footprint Editor” is not the same as:
“Footprint Library Manager”

You can change the description for a library from the KiCad Project manager with:

Preferences / Manage Footprint Libraries … and then either in the “Global Libraries” tab or the “Project specific Libraries” tab, you can click on the “Description” field and change it.

Or alternatively, as already mentioned:
Open the “fp-lib-table” file of a project in a text editor and change the (descr …) field for your library.

It seems to work properly as tested in:

Application: KiCad

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-ff3bd7e72~106~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.4
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-54-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, mate, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Nov 21 2020 10:32:04
	wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.3.0
	Curl: 7.68.0
	ngspice: 31
	Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

FYI, there is an issue on GitLab (originally submitted on Launchpad) for including support for optional meta data to libraries to automatically fill in the description field when adding a library to the library table.