Selection jumping when starting to move

Hello!

I have a problem in the schematic editor, but it might be a matter of setting because it reminds
me the setting that automatically puts the cursor at the center of the page…

Before I forget: Ubuntu 21.04, automatic update, therefore latest version (today is september 17th), version 5.99.

1. Select a few items.
  2. Remember the position of the cursor.
  3. Press M. The cursor jumps to the handle of one of the items, the group doesn’t move.
  4. As soon as you move the group by 1 pixel, the group is moved so that the handle (point 3)
    is under the mouse.

A natural and intuitive behaviour (at least for me) would be that the selection follows the mouse
and does not jump at start. Is there a setting for that?

For me it works as you would expect:

The cursor jumping to a “handle” in your point 3). is a quite important feature. Because it lets yo put parts that were placed off-grid on the grid again. This is a setting in: Schematic Editor / Preferences / Preferences / Common / Editing / [ ] Warp mouse to origin of moved object. I find it a bit strange that this is in the common section. A check confirms that it indeed influences part movement both in the schematic and in the PCB editors.

I find your point 4). a bit alarming. The schematic editor relies on perfect alignment between the attachment point of pins and the (by default) green connection wires. and it’s highly recommended to never ever set the grid below 50 mils. (Don’t use metric grid in the schematic editor. You can easily place texts and other objects off-grid by holding [Ctrl] during placement, but both the schematic symbols themselves and the green connection wires should always be placed on a coarse grid.

I’ve also been looking a bit through Schematic Editor / Preferences / Preferences / Schematic Editor / Editing Options but could not reproduce the behavior you see.

I’ve made a little screen capture with vokoscreen of how it works on my Linux Mint box:

(Hmmm, I posted such video’s on gitlab with the same codec (mp4, libx264) and there they work Edit preview does not work, but it works after posting).

When you suspect a bug, you should als always post full version info from the Help / About KiCad box. It looks like:

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-b84d1456d5~131~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.4
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-84-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xfce, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Sep 15 2021 04:03:11
	wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.3.0
	Curl: 7.68.0
	ngspice: 31
	Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Hello!

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay.
From your video, I noticed that 5.99 is even more user-friendly than what I thought.
When selecting and directly moving, it doesn’t jump, it just works.
As I was using the M command, it did actually jump.
How to reproduce:

• Select a few items
  • Press M. At that point, the crosshair jumps to the nearest component anchor, and the cursor stays
    where it was.
  • Move by even 1 pixel and everything jumps so that the crosshair is set back to the cursor.

That said, moving by select and drag now works, so I’m not sure it’s very urgent to fix it.

Application: KiCad

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-a6fb687a0e~131~ubuntu21.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.74.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1j zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh/0.9.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.11.0-36-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, wayland

Build Info:
Date: Sep 22 2021 04:08:46
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.5.1
Curl: 7.74.0
ngspice: 34
Compiler: GCC 10.3.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.