Selection filter for schematics

I have the same question as the (obviously very forward-thinking) below post from 7 years ago asking if there is any “selection filter” in Schematic Editor to allow selection of specific objects, say… by type, reference designator, etc.) I’m very surprised this was never answered nor discussed since 2017.

Thankfully KiCAD PCB Editor does have a very useful selection filter, so it seems strange and a bit inconsistent that Schematic Editor is missing this capability. This would be a very useful and time-saving feature for schematic editing, as evidenced by the fact it does exist in PCB Editor.

Thank you!

[EDIT: @scandey has kindly pointed out there is an existing feature request here: Selection filter for schematic/symbol editors (#14988) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab
Please visit the link and vote for this feature! ]

1 Like

It’s better for pose the question in a new topic rather than refer to a 7 year old discussion. People can follow the link if they want. Feel free to edit your question to be clearer what you want instead of relying on old context.

There is a feature request for this here: Selection filter for schematic/symbol editors (#14988) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

consider giving it a “thumbs up” to show support.

5 Likes

Yeah, I hear you, but surprisingly the old thread was still open, and since it’s usually bad form to post duplicate questions, I just replied and expected it would land in (and bump) the existing thread. However it seems the forum split my reply into a new thread, and closed the 7 year old thread. Noted for next time.

1 Like

Threads are automatically closed after 3 months of inactivity, this is a relatively new change so old old threads are still open . . .

The Forum didn’t split and close your old thread, that was done by a Forum Leader spending their free time to try and help other users.

Thanks for taking this on board :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The reason we prefer you start a new topic is because you read the topic and have digested all that went before. But think of the people who have to read your question. They have to work out which of the previous posts are relevant and which are not, given that time and versions have gone past since the topic was started. They do not have your viewpoint.

And in fact it is to your benefit to start a new topic because it will be more visible. An old topic daunts answers.

If it turns out that new topic is still relevant to the old topic we can do a merge. This happens much less often than a split and usually happens to recent topics. So don’t worry about duplicates, we can handle those too.

1 Like

Don’t forget that if you click and hold, a context box will pop up to allow you to clarify the (current) selection.

I gather you are on a Mac. On Windows/Linux the context dialog is right mouse button. But I see nothing having to do with “clarifying the selection”…

Click and hold in this case does mean exactly what it says. A long left click on an area with multiple objects (more than a second?) pops up a little menu near the mouse to let you pick which object to select.

Edit: there aren’t any major differences in left/right/middle clicking between platforms, though there are differences in the modifier keys that affect clicking

1 Like

No. It is on all platforms. Here, I left-clicked and held on the junction.

It works in PCB (and other CAD programs) we well.

OK, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification.

But how is that relevant to this thread? The press-hold selection specifier is only for single item selection. It does not work when multiple items selected.

The context of this thread is for selecting multiple items, but filtering to only specific items of interest (by type, or ref des, etc).

But how is that relevant to this thread?

There are multiple use cases for a selection filter.

One case is because multiple elements are stacked on top of each other. The click-to-clarify resolves that use case.

You never specified your reason for why you wanted a selection filter in the schematic editor.

Looks like a commit was made just a few days ago fixing this (see the referenced issue. Guess we’ll see this in 9.0 :tada: (or nighties for those brave enough to do that this early in the release cycle)

1 Like