Selecting whole wire on schematic [Kicad6]

Hello,

I would like to have the following behavior on the schematic editor :
When I click on a wire I want the whole wire to be selected, at least for deleting them. Instead it delete a segment of the wire.

I didn’t find the information online but if it’s possible for PCB too it would be helpful too.

for kicad v6.0.x:

Schematic: select one wire-segment → right-click (RMB) → context menu → Select whole connection

Board: two commands available: select one track-segment → RMB → context menu → Select → Expand connection OR Select all tracks in net

It’s possible to assign hotkeys to all these actions (look at global Preferences). The standard assignment is “ALT+4” for schematic and “U” for board->expand connection.

Thanks for the shortcut, I will map the Select whole connection to a more accessible key.

I will ask through a feature request for a settings enabling it by default since it’s a bit of an odd behaviour from Kicad.

I will to a feature request to have a settings for this since it’s a bit of an odd behaviour from Kicad.

The meaning of this sentence is not 100% clear to me. Whats the odd behaviour - to delete only the selected wire-segment? (Should Kicad automatically delete the whole wire-connection?)

Also please try to get familiar with Kicad first. It’s not sensible to request something if you are still not accustomed to a tool - maybe it needs only some time to know which tools are available and how to use them. It’s also a good idea to read and work trough the documentation (for instance the getting-started-tutorial or the schematic-description): https://docs.kicad.org/
No one should expect that a new CAD-program (and the question shows that you are new to Kicad) works like his old CAD-tool.

Re-assignment to the u key would make this function pretty similar to the u key in the PCB Editor to expand a selection.

Sorry I edited my sentence since it didn’t make a lot of sense.

I took a pause from kicad for two year since I work with a different program now. Rest assured I will not do any feature request until I’m not sure since I don’t want to waste developper time.

Deleting the whole wire connection make a lot of sense to me, often I want to place a new wire without have traces of the old one.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.