Selecting all vias

I have a mostly routed board, and want to change the properties of all the vias that I’ve placed.

How do I do this in one move? Can’t find a way to select them all at once.

What version and platform are you using?

If all else fails you can use a text editor or a python script.

Version 4.06 on Windows.

I don’t think a script is a reasonable method for such a simple common task. I surely hope that isn’t the only way.

You can change all vias to their netclass defaults, but the dialog is well hidden.

In Default canvas:

Right-click on a track, select “Edit all Tracks and Vias”. Use that dialog option “Set all tracks and vias to their netclass value”.

Note that if a segment of a track cannot be made larger due to clearance, it will not be changed. You might need to go round and redraw some parts.

3 Likes

Thanks, worked perfectly!

For anyone else, I’d add to bobc’s answer that you need to have the routing tool selected also to get that menu.

1 Like

For those who stumble here after 3 years with the same search query, I finally found an elegant solution to OP question.

Zoom out and select everything. Right click → Select → Filter selection… → Unselect everything except "include vias’.

I don’t know if there may be any exotic items that don’t fall in any of the other 7 categories, but thus worked for me.

(This didn’t solve my particular question though, which was, ‘how to select/change all vias of a specific size’)

1 Like

Maybe this works for you:
Pcbnew / Edit / Edit Track & Via Properties

1 Like

It won’t because I use different vias in the same nets depending on the local needs.

Besides I already used an offline regex search/replace. And I only needed to do this because I got the fab design specifications wrong, which won’t happen a second time.

Yes, KiCad’s simple text based formats are life savers for lots of people in hairy situations. Used a text editor myself a few times…