Screen problem on Acer Nitro 5

Hi, after install KiCad I try to create a new project, but this is the screen I see.

The computer is an Acer Nitro 5 with Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz;
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU;
Windows 11 Home 22H2, screen 1920x1080 scale 125%
How can I fix the problem?
Thank you
Livio

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. This problem is commonly seen on integrated Intel GPUs, so I would wonder if your NVIDIA card is only used some of the time (for power savings)

Graphical Artifacts with Intel GPUs

Users with Intel integrated GPUs running outdated drivers may experience graphical artifacts (usually horizontal lines) covering the editing canvases. These artifacts are caused by bugs in the graphics driver. To solve this issue, update to the latest version of the Intel graphics driver for your system. Note that you may need to manually download and install an updated driver on some systems; Windows Update does not always have a driver version new enough to resolve this issue.

I see you mention Nvidia, instead of “integrated GPUs”… There have been several threads with this issue, you can search for them if the advice above does not help, those threads may have more / other hints.

I installed the latest drivers downloaded from the NVIDIA site, but the problem remains, I will have to abandon the idea of ​​installing kiCAD.
Thank you

You should update your Intel GPU drivers.

Or, go to Windows Graphics settings, clicking on Browse, go to C:\Program Files\KiCad\7.0\bin and add all affected binaries (kicad.exe, pcbnew.exe, eeschema.exe, etc), then set the Graphics preference to the NVIDIA GPU

Otherwise, switch to Fallback graphics in KiCad settings.

2 Likes

Find this in Preferences > Preferences > Each Editor > Display Option > Rendering Engine

Thank you. Switching to Fallback is the solution to my problem!

1 Like

Note that Fallback graphics is much slower. I recommend to try the other two options first (Updating Intel GPU drivers, or switching to NVIDIA in Windows Graphics settings)

3 Likes

The Intel UHD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU drivers was updated, I don’t found where to switching to NVIDIA in Windows Graphics settings. I will try to make some experiments about the speed. Thank you.

In windows 10 or 11 ( as far as I remember) u can select specific program to use different GPUs ( be it intregeted or discrete)

1 Like

Note that the OP uses Windows 11, so:

Easier to press Win+R and type ms-settings:display-advancedgraphics to get to that screen

If your KiCad 7 is installed in the default location (C:\Program Files\KiCad\7.0), just download and execute this file and it should set up the graphics settings to use the NVIDIA GPU:

KiCad7_GPU_HiPerf.reg (922 Bytes)

Did you download it from Intel® 7th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows* or used Intel® Driver & Support Assistant?

I check in Windows - Device Manager - Display adapter - Intel UHD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce RTX3060 Laptop CPU - in both case I proceed with Driver - Update driver - Search automatically for driver; in both case the message was “The best driver for your device are already installed”.

But, as you suggest, I follow your idea to “Set default GPU for apps on Windows 11”, before of this I don’t know that I can choose beetwen two graphics processor, KiCad wasn’t in the list of software, I add KiCad in the list and I choose: “High performance: GPU: NVIDIA …” and now the screen is WORKING FINE also selecting “Accelerated graphics” in display option of KiCad!

If I select “GPU: Intel UHD Graphics” the screen is again full of lines as in the photo on my first post.
So this is the driver with problems.

Thank you very much for your help and your time.

Livio

4 Likes

Great!

Windows does not always have the latest drivers. I recommend checking out the links I posted above to download newer drivers.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, which version of the driver did you have installed, as shown in the Device Manager?

I try to use Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, but it show me the following message: "
Installing this graphics driver from Intel will remove customizations from your computer manufacturer (OEM) - If a newer graphics driver is available from Acer, we recommend that you install that driver instead."

I look on Acer web site, but, about Intel video, I found only “VGA VGA Driver (UMA) Intel 2021/10/08 27.20.100.8280”, Not being sure that it is the right file to update the Intel driver, I preferred not to risk creating other problems for the PC.

The solution to force KiCad to use the NVIDIA driver is very satisfying, now I can start to use KiCad.

Thanks again to all the people in this forum.

Livio

2 Likes

Generally, it is safe to proceed for Intel Graphics drivers. If you encounter issues, you can roll back the driver update.

is the same (old) driver version that you have installed.

For laptops downloading GPU driver form chip manufacturers can be a little difficult

It causes issue with GPU switching and hibernation or sleep

So it is better to just use laptop vendors provided driver

( I am pretty sure driver from Intel website may fix it but again lot of problems with that too)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.