SCL and SDA in DAC121C081CIMK

Hello

I have made a PCB board in KiCad and one of the component is the digital to analog converter DAC121C081CIMK. 2 of it’s pins are SCL and SDA. I have no idea where to connect these 2 pins. I am relatively new to PCB design. Could you help me in this? Thanks in advance.

SCL and SDA are serial clock and serial data respectively and are used in the I2C protocol to transfer data typically between the microcontroller and the peripheral.

This is not a PCB design question. Rather you should know or find out how to drive the DAC from whatever the controller used with the I2C protocol.

2 Likes

With some (audio?) DAC chips there is an I2C peripheral included to change configuration settings, but if you are content with the default operation of the DAC then I2C is sometimes optional. You have to consult the datasheet to be sure.

Edit: Oops, goofed up, did this as “general info” from memory for (obviously) another chip. I did not look at the datasheet.

1 Like

The part in question has 6 pins. With 2 for power, 2 for I2C, and one for output, that leaves only one pin for another function. So one can be quite sure that the digital value is inputted by the I2C protocol.

I am using ATXmega serie microcontrollers and they have SCL and SDA pins to control such devices. I don’t know what people are doing when they have not such pins in their controllers - never was in such situation.

The I2C protocol is documented so it’s possible to bitbang using GPIO pins. Here’s a learning project of mine doing just that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.