Schematic wire Slice vs Break actions

I’m trying to learn how to best split a wire in the middle, and drag the two halves to different parts of my schematic area as I design.

There seems to be two options for this: Slice and Break.

It seems that slice does what I want, but right next to it is Break, and I can’t figure out how to use it, or what it does.

When I click Break, it puts what looks like a node where I click it, but when I hit Enter or Escape or Click and/orDrag, it goes away, so I don’t know how to make the node stay there so I can play with it and see what it does.

Online searching just sends me down rabbit holes that aren’t answering this question directly.

Can anyone give me a good explanation of how “Break” is supped to be used, and how it differs from “Slice”? Thanks so much!

Break means to disconnect the wire so it can be moved, without altering its length, in a single plane.
The appropriate mirror function is also available (X on horizontal and Y on vertical lines).
eg. Break on a horizontal wire will disconnect each end and allow that wire to be moved up and down.

Slice will cut the wire at the cursor position then act in a similar manner as Break except the end attached to the cursor acts as the Drag (G) function. Mirror functions are also available with this feature.

NOTE: To use Break or Slice, the cursor needs to be NOT on the end (node) of the wire, but centrally located.

Any help? :slightly_smiling_face:

Excellent summary - this is something I’ve puzzled over, too. Thanks. :grin:

1 Like

Yes, jmk this is great help, thank you!

It’s hard to keep up with all these newfangled editing thingies :slight_smile:

I’m still stuck in the same old gear for ages and just delete whole wires and draw new ones.

I’m experimenting with this now, and it seems to work quite nicely.
Is there a way to determine whether the left or the right part is moved when a horizontal wire is spliced?

Also, I think I would prefer if the “other ends” would keep connected when a wire is spliced, and KiCad would behave as if an orthogonal wire is drawn from that corner. I think the intention now is to just make a little gap with splice, and then draw a new wire from the (now open) wire end.

Edit:
Oops, should have been “sliced”, not "spliced’ :slight_smile:

Huh? I thought spicing was easy, just click on the square at the end of a wire :slight_smile:

It seems slicing is always to the left.

Unfortunately this (splicing) feature has not yet arrived, nor has tying a knot. Maybe these, together with plaiting will arrive in the future. :rofl:

Another Edit: @paulvdh , it must be getting very late in your part of the world…spicing?? :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.