Schematic window partially off-screen when changing display configuration

I run KiCad on an M1 MacBook Pro laptop which is sometimes connected to two external 4K displays and sometimes connected to a single (different) 4K display. In the 2-external-display configuration I use the schematic editor and symbol editor on the 4K displays (not the Mac’s built in laptop display). That works well. When I want to move to a different environment to work where I will be using a single external 4K display, I first shut down KiCad then put my laptop to sleep (close the lid), then when I arrive to my destination, I connect the external 4K monitor, open the lid, unlock and then start KiCad. The project selection window shows up on whatever desktop I start the app from, but when I then click on the schematic editor, the editor window always shows up not he primary laptop display and the window is rendered much too large for the display so that all the window controls are inaccessible. I have to use the show all windows control to show me that window and then I can drag it to the 4K display.

I don’t know if my bug report here is clear enough, would a video of what I’m doing help?

OS X version info:

macOS Monterey Version 12.3

KiCad version info:

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor

Version: (6.0.4-0), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.79.1 SecureTransport (LibreSSL/3.3.5) zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.45.1

Platform: macOS Version 12.3 (Build 21E230), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac

Build Info:
Date: Mar 17 2022 21:21:05
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.78.0
OCC: 7.6.1
Curl: 7.64.1
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Clang 12.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Hi Folks!

This issue is due to a default setting in macOS.

Uncheck the option “Displays have separate Spaces” if you would like to allow sub windows to be shown on different displays. Otherwise, they stay in the same “Space”, which is only on one monitor, so you don’t see it on the other.

Very confusing.

1 Like

Thanks @Seth_h I’ll try this for the issue where the sub-windows are obscured by the main window, but I think we are talking about two different things here - my issue is that the schematic window will open up on a display with a lower resolution than the last display that it was used on and the window does not resize to fit the available screen real estate so that all the controls are off-screen. I am unable to drag that window to a higher-res display but can get it on the higher-res display by using the all windows button (F3) and then dragging it to the other display when I see all the windows on all the desktops. Let me get some screenshots to add to this issue so that everyone can see what I am talking about.

Please open an issue on GitLab to track this problem.

OK I’ll do that in the next few days.

Issue filed: Schematic symbol chooser window disappears when dragged to a different display

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.