Schematic symbol group vanishes when mirror horizontally. 5.99 Bug?

This group (see image) vanished when I mirrored horizontally. This happened in two successive tries. Then I tried mirroring it vertically and it behaved as expected. But then I went to rotate the vertically mirrored group and the symbols vanished; the wires stayed. It may be that I am not supposed to be able to mirror a group of symbols, but I think that what happened here does not seem correct. (??)

If this turns out to be a bug I can probably report it within the next 24 hours.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (5.99.0-11430-ge61b1f03b8), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jul 14 2021 09:00:10
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,STL containers)
Boost: 1.75.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
ngspice: 34
Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Can you share that schematic file here?

Thanks, EELIK

The Schematic is under NDA but fortunately after making a copy and deleting everything else, the problem still happens.KiCad Mirror Issue 07-17-2021a.zip (6.6 KB)

Yes, there are strange things going on. Even stranger than the items vanishing.

I’m trying to rotate it (with R) from two different points…

EDIT: and yes, mirroring makes them vanish.

Thank you. I am glad you did not download the file immediately after my first upload. My original upload had been saved at the wrong moment and it included all the stuff that I did not want to show.

I deleted schematic symbols one by one to see if that changes anything.
If you delete the MMBT3904 from the schematic it works as expected again.

I suspect there is a faulty coordinate in that schematic symbol.
Opening that symbol in the symbol editor (with [Ctrl + e]) reveals that the datasheet link has a text size of 10 inch.

Reducing the text size of that string improves behavior significantly :slight_smile:

Sorry but I dowloaded it :slight_smile: But I noticed the mistake and didn’t do anything more with it, it’s deleted.

That might explain the mirroring problem, so that it’s not a bug. But it doesn’t explain the rotation problems.

Have you loaded that schematic symbol in the symbol editor?
Here is the symbol itself just next to the “http://…” text string:

The string is about 150mm high, and 11.5 meters in length. Much bigger then what would fit on any schematic sheet.
It probably also explains the rotation problems. Coordinates are probably so big that they get wrapped around the available coordinate space.

I thing I do consider this a bug though.
Using only visible items when rotating or mirroring could be a way to fix it.
Maybe setting a hard limit to the maximum text size is sensible, or at least have ERC flag suspiciously big texts.

I get a bit similar problems even with a most simple example, just two wires. There can of course be several independent bugs.

I saw the same behavior as in your screencast, however, if I just delete the transistor from the schematic, it works normally again for me. (In the nightly dated 2021-07-14.)

Just pressing R and Ctrl+Z.

I just deleted the datasheet URL (I do not use that field anyway) and updated the symbol. Does not seem to have remedied the disappearance. I have reported a bug.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.