Schematic - Another way to connect pins?

I am getting frustrated by the sheer amount of this:

Everywhere in the schematic I change the grid size to 5 mils and less just to alleviate this figure (and sometimes, like now, 1 mils is hardly enough!).

Is there a way to connect a pin of, say, a resistor to ground without wiring ? I am ok with text, only if I know pins’ numbers.

If you use the KiCAD library symbols (*) set the grid to 150 mils and stick to that for EVERYTHING.
EEschema isn’t as ‘smart’ as PCBnew yet to snap wires to pins.

PS: set your wires to only go vertical/horizontal. Not what you got there.

PPS: if you get more used to it you can decrease the grid size somehwat. I have my own libs and use 50 mils/25mils for example, but my symbols are made for that… the official KiCAD ones are not.

*) they are generated on a 150 mil grid and wires will snap to that grid and connect with pins.

Yes I do use KiCad Symbols and when I make a new one, I try to make it compatible with 50 mils.

I have restricted the lines to H and V only, but 150 mils ? I have 100 mils maximum.

I am on KiCad 4.0.6 Linux

Sorry, I didn’t check the max. Try 100 or 50 mill then. 50 mil would be the safe bet.
Grab the parts where the pins don’t want to snap with [M] (mouse pointer hovers over them) and re-position them, so the pins sit on the grid.
Then try to get wires to the pins again.
If you got the grid at 50 it should work out.

No, moving the parts does not do the trick. It seems that once they were positioned off grid marks, they stay like that.

Anyhow, sticking to 50 mils and deleting all components and adding them again made them sit correctly on the grid. I sincerely hope I have gotten rid of this grid-pin issue.

Thanks Joan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does it help to use “Move Exact” (Ctrl-M) to move it on grid first?

There is no move exact in eeschema. You are writing about the wrong tool. (In pcb new you do not need to care about grid because there the tracs snap to the center of pads.)

2 Likes

It looks like those wires are at an angle because some symbols were dragged using ‘G’ or tab shortcut.
There is not much to against that for now, I try to use select items + tab in a way that includes gnd symbols and connected stuff that could end in angled wires. Otherwise is kind of difficult to delete that angled wire

One easy way I’ve found to delete these types of wires is to select the endpoint and delete. It will ask to clarify, so select the wire without “horizontal” or “vertical” label next to it.

Yup, way too many steps for my taste, and requires some precise pointing that is kind of difficult with my touchpad so I try to avoid it in the first place. :smiley: