Schematic and Layout locks are a pain in the ass

Don’t you think the same?

I have been using Kicad since v4 and never needed this feature even opening multiple Kicad windows.

This feature does not work fine and this thing always annoys me. I end up deleting the lock every time with the popup, so what is the point?

This feature also prevents opening/viewing the design before answering the stupid popup.

This time the issue is with the “DRC > Check against schematic”, if the schematic is not already opened and if this lock exists… Kicad stays processing something that never ends, but it just waiting for the lock to be removed or ignored but nothing is presented to the user.

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.7+dfsg-1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.13.1
	HarfBuzz 8.0.1
	FontConfig 2.14.2
	libcurl/8.2.1 OpenSSL/3.0.10 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.5 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.55.1 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.6.6

Platform: Ubuntu 23.10, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Aug 16 2023 15:25:09
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 8.2.1
	ngspice: 40
	Compiler: GCC 13.2.0 with C++ ABI 1018

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about.
Never had the issue.

1 Like

Are you using the latest stable version? There were multiple bugfixes regarding this issue and with v7.0.9 I have this problem only very rarely.

Ah, forgot to add the version. The post is updated. I am using 7.0.7 which I thought was the last one.
But it looks like It was not the last one on this computer. Thanks, dude, I am going to update it to check.

The first item on the Kicad 7.0.9 is exactly this. @mf_ibfeew thanks, I was not using the version I thought I was since I had to format the machine a couple of days ago.

I noticed yesterday that I was almost adding the lock file by accident in git commit to repo as I had forgotten to add *.lck files to my git project .gitignore file. That could have then created locking error later, if I would have closed the editor and then used “git reset --hard” to return to previously committed version. (That would have restored the lck file even if the editor is not open and thus caused problems later)

I do not know would it be possible to get the .gitignore with proper entries created automatically for new kicad projects by using some plugin?

There is a template I usually use at github.com/gitignore which ignores tilde (~) files.

No need for a plugin. You can create a template and put the .gitignore file in the template directory. It will then be automatically added to all projects using that template. Unfortunately there’s currently no way to specify a default template: #11370 - Select a custom template to use with all new projects

You can create an alias to download the current version from github:

alias create-gitignore-kicad="wget -O .gitignore 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/github/gitignore/main/KiCad.gitignore'"

Note that #4356 has not been merged, yet.

Heads up - recent versions of KiCad don’t copy dotfiles in templates, so your .gitignore won’t get copied. My best suggestion is to call it gitignore in the template and do a quick rename when you create the project from the template.

Why that change?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So you can have things in templates that are ignored (for example, the .git directory if your template is version controlled)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.